Should I overclock my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zrules

HP Pavilion dv6z series

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

AMD Athlon(TM) X2 Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs QL-65 (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)

4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics

16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display (1366x768)

LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

Do you really need the extra performance from overclocking in the apps you use? IMO, without a good cooling solution OCing is not a good idea.

You probably will not be able to overclock your laptop by more than a couple hundred Mhz at most, but probably less. The performance gains will be negligible, and it will also hurt your battery life and increase heat output, so it is not worth it in my opinion.

Never overclock unless you know exactly what you're doing and you truly need the extra performance. I encounter problems from some customers once in a long while and I see it almost routinely on these forums when someone plays with the CPU clock! It can even void your warranty with the manufacturer!

-- Andy

Overclocking your laptop will not do anything for your game play. The graphics is too weak to support most game play

second that, the 3200 is too weak. basically u can try to overclock the graphic card, but it would bring more heat, and increase risk of shorter life.

if u want to try, get the atitool or radlinker. it works in my old laptop, but don't expect much.

i wouldnt.

Laptops do not have very good cooling. Especially if you plan to overclock it. And like Technochicken pointed out. it will seriously hurt your battery life.

Besides. Being an HP, i dought it will overclock anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back