Should you install Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff
I see this question asked once every week or two. We covered this topic in a tech tip ahead of Windows 7's launch. It's almost two years old, but still every bit as relevant as the day it was written. Please read our guide before starting a new thread about the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. If you have further questions after reading the guide, by all means start a new topic.

Should You Install Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

With the upcoming release of Windows 7, the question is raised again on whether you should install the 32-bit version (x86) of the operating system or move up to 64-bit (x64).

This is something that's been asked since the introduction of consumer-level processors bearing the “x64” nomenclature. It feels like just yesterday that Intel and AMD fanboys were at odds over the Athlon 64. At that time and even as recently as the introduction of Windows Vista, software and drivers for 64-bit setups were slim-pickings.

Love to read lt. But, wheres it at?

I see this question asked once every week or two. We covered this topic in a tech tip ahead of Windows 7's launch. It's almost two years old, but still every bit as relevant as the day it was written. Please read our guide before starting a new thread about the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. If you have further questions after reading the guide, by all means start a new topic.

I'd love to read the guide.where is it????
Ray

64 bit is designed for performance- and must have at least 6 gigs of ram to fully get full use of the 64 bit architecture, imho.

i have a question .. how to know wich is better for me ?

i heared that it's the processor .. is that real ?

The first post in this thread has a link to an article to help you make an informed decision on which version is better for you.

yes its the processor architecture,
any processor that is intel and was released before the core 2 due is most likely 32-bit except some of the dual core releases which was 64-bit but anything after that is a 100% 64-bit also any AMD cpu is 64-bit.
regarding what is best for u system-wise if u have a cpu that is 32-bit then u must use the 32-bit win 7 if u have 64-bit cpu and 4gb of ram then u can utilize the 64-bit fully and feel the POWER!!! if ur ram is lower than 4gb then it wont really matter between 32 and 64 cuz they will preform almost the same.

yes its the processor architecture,
any processor that is intel and was released before the core 2 due is most likely 32-bit except some of the dual core releases which was 64-bit but anything after that is a 100% 64-bit also any AMD cpu is 64-bit.
"Ur" almost right, But as they say, "almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades". Pentium 4 and Celeron D "Cedar Mill" core offerings were 64 bit architecture.You started to run into backwards compatibility issues with them, since Intel boards 915 and prior were 32 bit. Go AMD! (Just kidding).

Now I have a question, is "heared" really the past tense of "hear"?

@ captaincranky that why i put most likely in there cuz i wasnt sure since i didnt do any research on the subject nor do i have an extensive knowledge in the intel world.
and people sometimes make spelling errors u dont need to make fun of them.

It's not just spelling errors...

Modern CPU's will all support 64 bit though. It's most likely that people who are considering Windows 7 and 8 will also be using a processor that supports 64 bit.

@ captaincranky that why I put most likely in there cuz I wasnt sure since I didnt do any research on the subject nor do I have an extensive knowledge in the intel world..
And yet you have no inhibitions about running your mouth about the subject, do you?
Instead of trying to lecture me about what, or what not to post, why don't you do us the common courtesy of taking the time to spell out the word, "you", instead of inflicting a bunch of juvenile text message BS on us. All those cutesy pie spellings that you've somehow managed to convince yourself are cool, are really just pubescent excuses for an inability to communicate effectively in English. It comes off as lazy and rude, not clever.

And I say this by the authority of I wouldn't do it to you. It's as golden rule sort of thing.

And yeah, this is why I chose my screen name. In case the light bulb suddenly went on over your head, and you convinced yourself that you had an epiphany about it.

And yet you have no inhibitions about running your mouth about the subject, do you?
Instead of trying to lecture me about what, or what not to post, why don't you do us the common courtesy of taking the time to spell out the word, "you", instead of inflicting a bunch of juvenile text message BS on us. All those cutesy pie spellings that you've somehow managed to convince yourself are cool, are really just pubescent excuses for an inability to communicate effectively in English. It comes off as lazy and rude, not clever.

And I say this by the authority of I wouldn't do it to you. It's as golden rule sort of thing.

And yeah, this is why I chose my screen name. In case the light bulb suddenly went on over your head, and you convinced yourself that you had an epiphany about it.

I agree Captain. Those "Cutesy Pie" words are fine if you're e-Mailing or sending a Text message to a friend They don't belong in a Post meant for all to read Ray.

I merely thought what i know can be helpful to someone.

I was not lecturing u but not everyone has an A in English people sometime make mistakes u can absolutely post what u want as long as its not against forum rules but u were the rude one couldnt u just fix it for him instead of making a big deal out of it? but why u must have some fun out of it..
And seriously "u" is rude and offensive? since when? its not juvenile and i dont use them cuz they're cool or i think they're its just a matter of saving time. its not "an inability to communicate effectively in English" im 100% capable of using "you and because" and so on maybe its an act of laziness but it doesnt harm anyone.
If there is any forum rule that says "dont use u cuz etc" then i'd gladly stop using them but there arent any rule(s) that clearly say(s) that so i'd suggest that if ur offended then u can just sue me if u like..

I merely thought what i know can be helpful to someone.

I was not lecturing u but not everyone has an A in English people sometime make mistakes u can absolutely post what u want as long as its not against forum rules but u were the rude one couldnt u just fix it for him instead of making a big deal out of it? but why u must have some fun out of it..
And seriously "u" is rude and offensive? since when? its not juvenile and i dont use them cuz they're cool or i think they're its just a matter of saving time. its not "an inability to communicate effectively in English" im 100% capable of using "you and because" and so on maybe its an act of laziness but it doesnt harm anyone.
If there is any forum rule that says "dont use u cuz etc" then i'd gladly stop using them but there arent any rule(s) that clearly say(s) that so i'd suggest that if ur offended then u can just sue me if u like..
Well den, youse'm jus gotz u-sef da las wurd.

Actually, this thread has been dead for quite awhile. Mostly just you, and whichever ostrich just pulled their head out of the sand about Windows 7, "Microsoft's new operating system" still find it interesting, This forum technique is known as"necro bumping". I usually just delete the notification Emails.

I actually thought "heared" was quite funny. It has a sort of Middle English flavor to it.

For example; "hast thou hearded me and understood me fully, varlet"!

Truth to tell, that should probably be, "heardeth", but I didn't feel like doing the research.

With all that said, I'm off to put 8 gigs of RAM in my Win 7 computer. After which I'll make a quick stop in the bathroom, so I can "feel the power", it imparts on me......! :rolleyes: I hope I get the right machine, I don't want to wind up sticking 8 gigs of RAM in the 32 bit machine. Maybe I should upload the entire SIW report for both machines so somebody can take a look at them for me. :haha: Ok, here's my next question, "can I put Windows 7 on my eMachines T-5026"? Somebody help me out here, the big jump from XP to 7 has been confusing the heck out of me. Hm, maybe I'll change my avatar to the Intel logo while I'm at it..

This post was almost too silly to respond to, but now that you've woken me....
64 bit is designed for performance- and must have at least 6 gigs of ram to fully get full use of the 64 bit architecture, imho.
Ah the heck with it, why don't u jus straighten him out....

I've deleted four posts bickering about grammar. If you want to debate the intricacies of the English language or how it applies to Internet forums, be my guest. But go create your own thread.

Way things go now, 32 and 64 bit are the same price, so you might as well put 64 bit in. It means if you do upgrade to a system that can handle it, you won't be having to shell out another ~$100 for a 64 bit operating system.

Once I'm able to buy some more ram I plan on upgrading to 64-bit to so I can use it.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. The benefit of installing a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU like Sempron is better performance.

And guys, let's not go off-topic...

I have a question. It's a two parter. Well, maybe a three parter.

I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. The benefit of installing a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU like Sempron is better performance.
Nowadays, a Sempron will just barely power a "Droid", why would anybody treat one to a fresh copy of any episode of Windows, let alone a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate? That's like pissing your money away on already scratched, losing, lottery tickets
And guys, let's not go off-topic...
Oh glory be, a noob with paranoid delusions of moderator-hood.

Now, the rest of the questions. Since Windows 8, is just around the corner, and this thread is 8 months old, why are you necro-bumping it, especially in light of the fact you haven't really moved the discussion forward?

IMO, this thread is better off being posted off topic, since this issue is long solved. Well, we are still waiting for Rip Van Winkle to check in...That notwithstanding.....

Who do you think died here, and designated you moderator?

The terms "performance" and "Sempron", (as well as Celeron), are mutually exclusive. Please don't ever use them again in the same sentence.......:haha:

For your further illumination on the contemporary relevance, (or not), of this topic, these two posts to this thread are from June 2011....
Shouldn't that be Windows 8?...or is this older than i think it is?

He's quoting the article that he linked that was on the main page almost 2 years ago.

Back