Show and sluggish, have possible space issues..was told to maybe re-partition?

siedog

My computer was acting a bit slow and sluggish. On the parent/main drive, has about only 4.7gb of available space out of 107gb total or so. I have not downloaded any new software or anything. Was told that I might need to re-partition my drive? Pls help or any info appreciated.

Thank you.

I have a Toshiba Portege Z830 Intel Core i5-2557M CPU 1.70 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, Windows 7 Pro, service pack 1. C: drive hard disk space 102gb used, 6.03gb space free.

I tried your link and used disk cleanup. It said that I could free up an extra 6gb (deleting about 5.8gb of backup windows update files). When I ran the cleanup and checked the space after, it still shows 6.03gb free. Strange. I haven't tried the other options yet, but I have CCCleaner and have used it.

If there is any bloatware - crapware from the manufacturer you have yet to remove take those off first by using add/remove programs.

Hi! 102GB used space is a lot. Have you tried a program that will tell you what is using all your space. I use a free program called "Wiz Tree" Here's link from MajorGeeks. They are trusted not to put PUP's and other unwanted programs on your down load.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wiztree.html
There are several free programs like this that will work for you. I agree with @MaikuTech. Get rid of bloatware-crapware. I have a 500GB hard drive (spinner) and I only use 50 GB. Here's example of my hard drive. Let us know how things go.
Capture26.JPG

Win/7 doesn't auto defrag unless you autostart the service, but first free-up as much as possible before doing so.

Also, you should defrag the registry

Intel Core i5-2557M CPU 1.70 GHz,
That's quite slow today. Stop all autostarted programs YOU DON'T NEED (set them to manual instead).

One last thought -- AFTER applying all the above -- set the pagefile to a FIX SIZE, aka, set min == max (in your case 6144MB) and restart. This ensures that when you need paging, you're not also expanding the pagefile at the same time.

Back