Shutdown problems

DKRON

My computer has just been having trouble shutting down, it will boot up fine and even when i have to eventually hit then power switch to turn it off it won't come up with bad shutdown errors "start windows normally"

What is on the display when you shutdown normally? Does it write any error message, hang or shows some screen or something?

if you want to shut it down fast. You can do this :
• press the Power button and Restart button at the same time for maybe 5 sec. until the fan stops. .

or you can try what gbhall has said. Actually I always do that trick. ;) lol!

Yea i have been holding down the power button to power off but that can't be doing the problem any good, prob just making it worse, i will look on that site for a windows 7 verson

It's probably the same in Win7. Just open a command box and type shutdown -h which will either respond with help on the options, or 'command not found'

Nah using Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Basically just the same thing though, write a batch with:
shutdown -s -f -t 0
-f is not mentioned in the article above, but it means force shutdown.
My guess is that it won't make a difference.

I have been looking through blogs and have tried all that, except the trace when shutting down, but I have managed to get a error to go with anyway, "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE"
I will also attach the dump file for that error

Attachments

• 111310-13852-01.zip
    167 KB · Views: 6
One dump can only give that much information; anyway, this one specifically came up with CTAudsvc.exe hanging up/cause of the crash, which is Creative Audio Service driver. Either update the driver and remove it temporarily to see whether system shutdown in a stable way.

Edit:
I am assuming here that your system is virus/malware free and well protected.

Back