Sidewalk traffic lights designed for smartphone addicts appear in another location; this...

midian182

Staff member

Installing traffic lights into sidewalks to prevent smartphone-addicted pedestrians from walking onto busy roads seemed like a pretty unusual solution to a modern problem when it was first revealed last year. But the experiment in the German city of Augsburg must have proved successful, as it was later replicated in Sydney, Australia. Now, the lights have been brought to the Dutch municipality of Bodegraven-Reeuwijk.

This latest version of the ‘traffic lights for smartphone zombies’ appears to be more conspicuous than those in other locations. Rather than consisting of several small squares like the system in Germany, these lights come in the form of a long, bright strip that looks a bit like a lightsaber.

Dutch company HIG Traffic Systems built the lights, which is officially called “+ Light Line.” The strips are only at a single intersection near a number of schools during this trial run. They alternate from red to green, and blink along with the main signals when they’re about to change.

HIG’s Mark Hofman told Dutch news site OmroepWest: “Smartphone use by pedestrians and cyclists is a major problem. Trams in The Hague regularly make an emergency stop because someone looks at their smartphone instead of traffic.”

As is the case with the lights in other countries, not all Dutch locals welcome the system. "It's not a good idea to help mobile phone users look at their phones," Dutch Traffic Safety Association employee Jose de Jong reportedly said. "We don't want people to use phones when they're dealing with traffic, even when walking around. People must always look around them, to check if cars are actually stopping at the red signals."

HIG said it hopes to bring its lights to other towns in the future.

While it’s easy to tell people not to stare at their smartphones as they cross roads, not everyone listens to the advice. If the lights really do result in the number of smartphone-related traffic accidents decreasing among pedestrians, expect them to appear in more countries as time goes on.

Permalink to story.

We need less people on the planet, let the ***** lemmings fall off the edge of despair, and let those who shine brightest lead us to the first city of Mars, Dubaii ...

Ah I see, so this is kinda like the warning pictures we put on plastic bags that shows somebody holding the bag over their own head and suffocating. Some ***** needed it so now we all have to be reminded not to be an ***** like "that person"?

It's the phone users responsibility to be aware of what's going on around them. If they're stupid enough to wander into an oncoming vehicles path and get flattened because they're distracted by reading what their buddy had for breakfast on Facebook, tough. If they're lucky enough to survive then maybe, just maybe, they might have learned something. Children are a different story though, they're easily distracted by lots of different things going on around them, it's a natural phenomenon so if an expensive system like this can help them, then it's money well spent. If lots of adult fools on this planet have to learn the basic, simple things the hard way, so be it

Children are a different story though, they're easily distracted by lots of different things going on around them, it's a natural phenomenon so if an expensive system like this can help them, then it's money well spent. If lots of adult fools on this planet have to learn the basic, simple things the hard way, so be it

Isn't that what *parents* are for?

It's depressing to see that some people actually need this. If they're so dumb they would cross the road looking at their phone they should get run over.

But what about the poor b@st@rd that hits that person. Not only possible damage to their vehicle, but also their psychological impact. You have to look at both sides of the coin.

But what about the poor b@st@rd that hits that person. Not only possible damage to their vehicle, but also their psychological impact. You have to look at both sides of the coin.
I'm not being serious when I say I want them to get hit. Everyone's in danger when some ***** has his eyes glued to his phone while on the street, in a vehicle or not.

This is good, without this technology PewDiePie would never reach 54 million subscribers!

It's depressing to see that some people actually need this. If they're so dumb they would cross the road looking at their phone they should get run over.
I saw this in Milan, Italy - - dummy walked directly into oncoming traffic and were it not for an attentive taxi driver, she would have been severely injured.

... if an expensive system like this can help them, then it's money well spent.

I do not wish to have my money taken to pay to improve the parenting skills of someone else. If you truly believe this to be "money well spent," fund it yourself.

Another overreach of municipal government, papering over a societal problem so that it can look like a caring organization, and garner more votes.

Back