Silverstone Mammoth MM01 Review: A massive case built for harsh environments

Steve

Staff member

silverstone mammoth mm01 review silverstone case mammoth mm01

Those of you who follow CES might recall Silverstone's "Mammoth" case from 2013. It was a rough prototype at the time but it hinted at a massive EATX chassis that was said to be completely dust and spill-proof, with a HEPA air filter, front and back panels designed to deflect liquid and a sealed top panel.

It seemed exciting for folks who wanted a robust case that could protect systems in harsh conditions but we hadn't heard much about the Mammoth after its original showing. Seemingly extinct, we were surprised to find the case listed in a small launch headline on the company's site and even more surprised a few weeks later when we found it on our test bench.

The Silverstone Mammoth MM01 has yet to go on sale so we aren't exactly sure how it will be priced, but it's suggested to cost around $300.

Read the complete review.

Great review!
It's amusing that cases with Colossus and Mammoth in the name, and size, supplied the worst temps.

I imagine the discerning caveman would be glad of a dustproof case like that!

Um, how do you plug in cables through that back vent?
I imagine some power plugs or DVI plugs would be a tight fit.
And very awkward if you wanted to swap cables from time to time.

I find this case amusing, and at the same time I know someone who would actually want this behemoth.

Or, you can take those mini ITX reviewed just before and shove 3 into 1, for good measure :)

That'd be fun :)

Madboyv1 is *absolutely* correct, I want, no, *NEED* one of these. My rig's in an unfinished basement with a concrete floor, visible ceiling rafters and house wiring. As if that's not enough of a dust challenge, add 3 dogs, 6 cats, 2 large parrots and 5 sugar gliders. Dust and dander here is not challenge to fight like normal, It's a food group <sigh>. I can blow out my case and within an hour, there's a layer of dust on the intake grills. So ... a few questions ...

1. When's this bad boy coming out?
2. Other than adding the rear fan, would it be advisable to LC the CPU and GPU and keep the front fans at their lower speed setting?
3. Does/can it use a "standard" sized HEPA filter? Like one from some vacuum cleaners? If not, how much is a replacement filter going to cost? Either that or maybe I can take a vacuum/house HEPA filter and mod it to fit.
4. Will it come with an optional forklift for when I *DO* have to move this beast?

I imagine the discerning caveman would be glad of a dustproof case like that!

Um, how do you plug in cables through that back vent?
I imagine some power plugs or DVI plugs would be a tight fit.
And very awkward if you wanted to swap cables from time to time.

You don’t have to be a caveman to work in a dusty environment, most of the world’s industry operates in such conditions.

The back panel pops off in seconds, there is nothing awkward about it. There is a large hole at the bottom and you could easily fit multiple DVI and power cables though it. You don’t need to fit the plug through as you simply remove the panel, and place the cable in the opening at the bottom.

I find this case amusing, and at the same time I know someone who would actually want this behemoth.

There is a huge market for such a product, think outside your box ;)

Madboyv1 is *absolutely* correct, I want, no, *NEED* one of these. My rig's in an unfinished basement with a concrete floor, visible ceiling rafters and house wiring. As if that's not enough of a dust challenge, add 3 dogs, 6 cats, 2 large parrots and 5 sugar gliders. Dust and dander here is not challenge to fight like normal, It's a food group <sigh>. I can blow out my case and within an hour, there's a layer of dust on the intake grills. So ... a few questions ...

1. When's this bad boy coming out?
2. Other than adding the rear fan, would it be advisable to LC the CPU and GPU and keep the front fans at their lower speed setting?
3. Does/can it use a "standard" sized HEPA filter? Like one from some vacuum cleaners? If not, how much is a replacement filter going to cost? Either that or maybe I can take a vacuum/house HEPA filter and mod it to fit.
4. Will it come with an optional forklift for when I *DO* have to move this beast?

1. I received mine from a local distributor so availability can’t be far off.
2. Sure if this is the way you wanted to go but you can really only mount a rear 120mm radiator.
3. It is a 360 x 200 x 20mm HEPA filter. Silverstone want to sell you the replacements but if you can find a filter that meets those dimensions it will work.
4. Sorry Forklift is an optional extra.

There is a huge market for such a product, think outside your box ;)
Is there really though? I'd imagine many harsh environment systems are purchased from industrial vendors that make their own enclosure, and of the ones I've seen are significantly smaller than this. As I said I did think of someone who'd want this (as far as a consumer) and that the guest showed up lol, but I cannot see this case as aimed at the enthusiasts market due to it's cost, size, and potential to be quite loud (as a side effect of having to suck air through that beast of a filter). I *could* see this used as a server case, as the filtered front would help cut back on maintenance...

Also, I'm stuck in that ITX rut remember? Unless it has something extraordinary or is less than 30L I'll probably look at it with a jaundiced eye. :)

Is there really though?

Well yes there is, why do you think I said it and why do you think Silverstone developed it?

I'd imagine many harsh environment systems are purchased from industrial vendors that make their own enclosure, and of the ones I've seen are significantly smaller than this.

This might be true in some situations but for all the ones that I am aware of it isn’t. The problem with industrial computers is they are extremely expensive and rather slow. They can also be hard to acquire in rural locations (of course they can be shipped at a cost). Despite being pre-built they almost always need a technician to install and setup anyway.

My experiences are based solely on what I have seen here in Australia. Here industrial computers are expensive and almost always based on slow out-dated hardware. Advantech Online for example is selling Core 2 and Pentium 4 systems for over $1000 while their compact systems that you speak of use Atom and Celeron M processors for a cost of $700+.

MOXA Online is a US seller/maker of industrial PC's. Here is their splash proof Core i5-520E "Arrandale" system for $4K...

http://store.moxa.com/a/product/mc-5150-ac-dc-series?id=M20120418018

As I said I did think of someone who'd want this (as far as a consumer) and that the guest showed up lol, but I cannot see this case as aimed at the enthusiasts market due to it's cost, size, and potential to be quite loud (as a side effect of having to suck air through that beast of a filter). I *could* see this used as a server case, as the filtered front would help cut back on maintenance...

Why would you even think/suggest that this case is intended for the enthusiasts market? We certainly didn’t suggest that in our review and Silverstone has made no mention of this either. The MM01 is designed and intended for harsh environments.

For example I have a few friends that work in the dairy industry and they are always looking for systems that are dust proof and can with stand a little moisture. In the past fanless systems have been a cost effective option but they do need to be heavily ventilated so not ideal.

Also, I'm stuck in that ITX rut remember? Unless it has something extraordinary or is less than 30L I'll probably look at it with a jaundiced eye.

Again the MM01 probably isn’t for you then. Do you work in a harsh environment for computer systems? Do you require a case that can keep dust and moisture out while keeping high-end modern hardware safe inside? If not then this isn’t designed for you.

Now that I got myself reamed (mostly) on purpose, hopefully that'll keeps someone else from asking the silly questions! :p

The "is there really though" comment was aimed specifically at the "huge" part of your claim, not a statement against the fact that there is a market for it. The reason why I asked was because this is the first case I've ever seen from any common/popular case manufacturer that I would dare call harsh environment friendly. I know it's begging the question and I believe in challenging convention which is what Silverstone set out to do with this case, but I've really not seen anything else like the MM01 before and wonder why that is if the market is there.

A passively cooled, fully encased, water proof and dust proof marine computer (probably IP56) is not a fair comparison at all to this case, as that kind of rugged enclosure is held to a significantly higher standard of protection and build "quality" to maintain that standard of protection. In addition to the often much higher costs for the enclosure itself (regardless of size), custom parts are often used, often times being the motherboard and heatsink. That also drives up the price significantly for these units. Like in yesteryear regarding ITX size computers, you were and still are (for industrial computers) paying for the form factor. The rugged service tablet PCs we have are first gen i5s, though replacements have been second gen i5s. However, because of their impact and dust resistance, as well as the large amount of custom hardware built into unit, the things are over $2000 each.

I looked up the testing documents for the case, and the case was tested (and passed) for IP43, which is very good compared to any normal style case, but not what I would really call rugged; it's somewhere in between and slots perfectly for your dairy industry friends. Of course, that was a calculated compromise as some airflow is practically required for modern PC level hardware, even power efficient hardware. Speaking of which, your testing hardware appears to use a processor and graphics card from from 2010, unless you ran your tests with that 290x you slotted in on page 2. While that's not as old as what is installed on the marine computer you linked, the purpose of the two computers are completely different, for completely different harsh environments.

Do you work in a harsh environment for computer systems? Do you require a case that can keep dust and moisture out while keeping high-end modern hardware safe inside? If not then this isn’t designed for you.
Does a mix of 60 desktop/SFF computers in a few murky, dusty vehicle service departments count? I mean in the workshop, not storefront. Even with the airflow requirements to provide a safe breathing environment for the technicians and the daily cleaning, those places are disgusting for PC hardware. These systems are usually closed behind a cabinet door at each bay (which this case would not fit in by a long shot), but the computers in there still get pretty gnarly with dust and grime. The grime really surprises me actually. However for the work they do, and the work I'd imagine many industrial sectors do, they DON'T need modern, high end software. As a loaded, specific example I don't think most people are running full CAD software on a fully vetted design system next to the rotary tool that's cutting parts out on the manufacturing floor. I can think of two people that would like that ability, now that I think about it ha ha...

Lastly, the mention of the enthusiast market should not have been made. I knew that was not what the MM01 was intended for to begin with and the comment was utter nonsense, my apologies.

Back