Silverstone RV05 ATX Case Review: Stacked Design is Great for Cooling, Comes With Some Trade-Offs

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/846-silverstone-rv05/]https://www.techspot.com/review/846-silverstone-rv05/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

I think I understand where the designer(s) of this case are coming from.

If you had the budget for a 128GB M2 boot drive, two 1TB SATAIII SSDs, dual high-end video cards and a large 1000W PSU, would you settle with an all plastic case like the RV05?

Not a chance unless you believe that there isn't a commercially-available air-cooling force that matches this case's performance and quietness.

I won't miss the 5.25 bays. My internal HDDs haven't spun since SSDs started selling for 50 cents a GB.

I do have a portable DVD drive and more than 10TB worth of external HDDs that I use and it makes no difference except that it offers me greater flexibility that way.

Regardless of which case I buy, the only mechanical part I would put in a new rig would be a fan.

I never quite understood the need for these types of backwards designs. Innovation is the disease of today (case and point: the steam controller). Different isn't always better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This case is just another dust collector. Form and function is the name of this game. Fractal Design's Define R4 is my idea of a good--if not perfect--case, though it's not the most flashy case.

I never quite understood the need for these types of backwards designs. Innovation is the disease of today (case and point: the steam controller). Different isn't always better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This case is just another dust collector. Form and function is the name of this game. Fractal Design's Define R4 is my idea of a good--if not perfect--case, though it's not the most flashy case.

Are you referring to the rotated 90 degrees design to help cooling? Because a) that isn't very new anymore and b) it doesn't actually help. I can't remember who did it, but a website tested this out by turning a bunch of conventional designed cases on their side and measuring the improvement in cooling when the heat had a natural path upward. The results were... no difference.

I like the design because it puts the I/O panel on the top, and I'm kind of a sucker for thinking outside the box, but calling this design 'extremely effective' (right on page 1 of this review) sort of implies it's 'more' effective, when really it isn't.

Are you referring to the rotated 90 degrees design to help cooling? Because a) that isn't very new anymore and b) it doesn't actually help. I can't remember who did it, but a website tested this out by turning a bunch of conventional designed cases on their side and measuring the improvement in cooling when the heat had a natural path upward. The results were... no difference.

I like the design because it puts the I/O panel on the top, and I'm kind of a sucker for thinking outside the box, but calling this design 'extremely effective' (right on page 1 of this review) sort of implies it's 'more' effective, when really it isn't.

I'm referring to the PSU position, and the fans in the bottom instead of the top, and HDD cage in the back and the I/O panel pointing up (more dust in unused ports) and the top of the case being very open (more dust inside). Basically, the whole freaking thing repels me. As you point out, if there was a point to it all (such as improved cooling), then there would be a point to it! Since there's no real benefit in flipping everything upside down, it only serves to confuse veteran system builders like myself, for no reason. And I really don't like dust. :)

You can tell the reviewer has no idea what is going on and thus the entire review is suspect and likely falsified. He mounted his PSU to suck hot air from INSIDE the case rather than OUTSIDE like everyone has always done since the dawn of time.

Maybe Steven Walton should quit the life of a highschool dropout techblogger and instead buy a Macbook and hang out at starbucks writing about his feelings.

Last edited:
Bitvar, I don't think you interpreted the illustrations correctly. The flow of air from the PSU is going to the outside, albeit at a 90º angle due to the design of the case. Note the graphics card air flow is in the same direction.

Bitvar, I don't think you interpreted the illustrations correctly. The flow of air from the PSU is going to the outside, albeit at a 90º angle due to the design of the case. Note the graphics card air flow is in the same direction.
I think perhaps you're confused as to how to install a PSU. Please see the images taken from this article and uploaded to an external site to preserve their hilarity.

vrmCF5W.jpg

8n4Z7o7.jpg

Any and all technical articles from the author should be disregarded as he is clearly not qualified to talk about anything more complicated than a doorknob.

I think perhaps you're confused as to how to install a PSU.
Nope, it is you who are confused. Many cases are designed so the PSU can be mounted either way. It is a choice of which neither position is right or wrong.

You must be the author then. No one could willingly defend something so moronic unless they were ashamed of what they did. There is literally no scenario with this case where the PSU could be considered "setup correct" as it is.

Last edited:
Actually, I see that I made a mistake regarding what airflow Bitvar was talking about. I was talking about exhaust and he was talking about intake but no need to freak out about it.

I think perhaps you're confused as to how to install a PSU. Please see the images taken from this article and uploaded to an external site to preserve their hilarity.

Any and all technical articles from the author should be disregarded as he is clearly not qualified to talk about anything more complicated than a doorknob.

From review "For the photos we stuck in little Cooler Master GXII Pro 550w, which measures just 140mm long".

Ohh boy here we go. Because you can’t read I will say it again here, those photos were for demonstration purposes only... as in we didn't test with that hardware or configuration. That power supply can't even handle the setup we tested with.

There is also a reason as to why the power supply was installed in that configuration. It simply doesn’t fit the other way due to the raised fan grill which doesn't fit against the back side of the case. As you will find in previous case reviews this is the first time I have had to mount a power supply this way for demonstration purposes.

If you think the hardware installed in the Raven 5 would blow up a PSU facing inwards then you sir are the doorknob.

Thanks for all the images though, spend less time photo editing and more time reading mate.

You must be the author then. No one could willingly defend something so moronic unless they were ashamed of what they did. There is literally no scenario with this case where the PSU could be considered "setup correct" as it is.

Who hurt you? Why are you such an angry person? It is hard to believe someone could be so irate over something as trivial as power supply orientation, there must be more to it.

Im going to go as far as to say that the tests you saw were misleading. I haven't seen them but I was thinking a lot about how you would do them in a conventional case and it doesn't make sense. Cases with a normal mobo orientation almost always have strong front to back airflow for the case cooling. When you rotate the board, the gpu ends up being vertical and blocks a good deal of airflow that would normally go out the back. Top to bottom airflow works better with natural flow of air so having the main intake on the bottom AND rotating the mobo should (and in this box did) give better thermals. I really doubt the tests used cases designed for either type of airflow pattern and even if they did it throws in a lot of variables since you would need to move fans around between tests. Imho this is the best designed case I've ever seen for my needs but its just executed poorly.

Alas, this case although it looks sweet in the beginning, seems to me to be capable of turning into "A Case from Hell". 5 Big Stars for the great 180mm fans on the bottom. Once past the cool looking fans, my interest began to slide as I saw a monumental effort would be required to do any work on the case once all installations were done. I think the reviewer found this this to be a troublesome case as well.

This is the price I have to pay for being a very happy long time Lian-Li customer. Nothing compares.

Im going to go as far as to say that the tests you saw were misleading. I haven't seen them but I was thinking a lot about how you would do them in a conventional case and it doesn't make sense. Cases with a normal mobo orientation almost always have strong front to back airflow for the case cooling. When you rotate the board, the gpu ends up being vertical and blocks a good deal of airflow that would normally go out the back.
If the standard case with front to back air flow is rotated, it then becomes bottom to top air flow. There is no blockage by the GPU as you mentioned.

If the standard case with front to back air flow is rotated, it then becomes bottom to top air flow. There is no blockage by the GPU as you mentioned.

Yes it is the unobstructed design that is important not the orientation as much. Still its a little known fact that heat rises so the design can't hurt.

I am surprised BD Bitvar hasn't come back into this thread to try and look like even more of a dill.

@Steve
You must be the author then. No one could willingly defend something so moronic unless they were ashamed of what they did.
As strange as it may sound, I actually took that as a compliment. I only wish I could write reviews as well as you guys do. Bitvar put me on a higher pedestal as far as I'm concerned.

Back