Silverstone Sugo SG13 Mini-ITX Case Review: Compact, cheap and surprisingly capable

Steve

Staff member

silverstone sugo sg13 mini-itx case review silverstone mini-itx case sugo sg13

Silverstone has long been one of our top case manufacturer choices when building a new PC, thanks to past favorites like the Raven RV02-E, Fortress FT02 and Temjin TJ07. Of all its lines, the company's Mini-ITX 'Sugo' series stands out for being consistently surprising.

First launched back in 2005, the SG01 impressed us by cutting the 65L capacity of Silverstone's FT02 down to only 22L while still accommodating the era's high-end gaming hardware. The company has since built on that success with over half a dozen iterations. Over the last six years we've seen three more Mini-ITX Sugos (the SG06, SG07 and SG08) while the two most recent models (the SG09 and SG10) used the MicroATX standard.

Just when we were starting to think that the Sugo series lost its Mini-ITX mojo, Silverstone has stepped forward with the itty bitty 11.5L SG13. The thirteenth Sugo isn't quite the smallest to date, but it may be the most capable. Its 11.5L body is said to be capable of housing a standard ATX power supply up to 150mm long, a 120/140mm radiator and a 10.5" dual-slot graphics card.

Read the complete review.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it has very limited room for standard cpu coolers, but would love to know how limited it is, and how it would fare against fan cooling instead of liquid.

I know it has very limited room for standard cpu coolers, but would love to know how limited it is, and how it would fare against fan cooling instead of liquid.

61mm is the limit for the CPU cooler height. The amazing thing about this little case is that you can fit a 120mm radiator and we suspect most will, its kind of a selling point. That said a low-profile air cooler will work well such as the Noctua NH-L9, just expect it to run a few degrees warmer.

After years of changing many pc cases I've come to appreciate noise isolation most.

It's just a SG05 with a coat of paint, new front panel and the ability to use ATX PSU's, not a whole new chassis by any means. Glad to see the price is in the realm of affordability.

I love all these small form factor cases but why can't they ever put a damn carry handle on it? I built a gaming SFF back in 2003 and I ended up buying a kitchen drawer handle from a hardware store and stuck it on there. Made it really handy.

It's just a SG05 with a coat of paint, new front panel and the ability to use ATX PSU's, not a whole new chassis by any means. Glad to see the price is in the realm of affordability.

Except it's not really is it. The dimensions are different, the capacity is different, the internal design is different, storage support is different and the weight is very different. Other than that they are exactly the same, there both small Mini-ITX cases anyway ;)

I love all these small form factor cases but why can't they ever put a damn carry handle on it? I built a gaming SFF back in 2003 and I ended up buying a kitchen drawer handle from a hardware store and stuck it on there. Made it really handy.

Even as an optional extra it would be nice. I loved the SG04 for its handle design, it would be great to see a new version of that case.

Well, there IS the Lian Li PC-TU20. Which is fairly similar to the PC-Q08 I have mothballed. https://www.techspot.com/products/cases/lian-li-pc-tu200.81680/

And my Bitfenix prodigy has handles as well. https://www.techspot.com/products/cases/bitfenix-prodigy-mini-itx.85241/

Except it's not really is it. The dimensions are different, the capacity is different, the internal design is different, storage support is different and the weight is very different. Other than that they are exactly the same, there both small Mini-ITX cases anyway ;)

Um, no. The dimension are the same, the height is more due to taller feet, the length is more due to larger front bezel. I own the SG05, the SG13 looks identical chassis wise, minus the cut out in the front panel to allow for longer GPU's to slot in and a revised hard drive tray. Strip an SG05 down to the bare framework and do the same to the SG13 and you'd see, identical chassis. ;)

Just look at the rear panel of the two, do you really think Silverstone went and retooled all their machines for this chassis because its less then a liter larger? The additional volume come from the front bezel being calculated, and is 9mm thicker.

Um, no. The dimension are the same, the height is more due to taller feet, the length is more due to larger front bezel. I own the SG05, the SG13 looks identical chassis wise, minus the cut out in the front panel to allow for longer GPU's to slot in and a revised hard drive tray. Strip an SG05 down to the bare framework and do the same to the SG13 and you'd see, identical chassis. ;)

Just look at the rear panel of the two, do you really think Silverstone went and retooled all their machines for this chassis because its less then a liter larger? The additional volume come from the front bezel being calculated, and is 9mm thicker.

So you are actually stating that they are not the same, yet you say it is... mmm get your head straight, please.

So you are actually stating that they are not the same, yet you say it is... mmm get your head straight, please.

The chassis is the same. It's a common practice in the industry, but evidently no one else sees this. Adding larger feet and a slightly thicker front panel does not make enough of a difference to be considered a new chassis.

The chassis is the same. It's a common practice in the industry, but evidently no one else sees this. Adding larger feet and a slightly thicker front panel does not make enough of a difference to be considered a new chassis.

Without drilling any holes can you please mount an SSD in the bottom of your SG05 and stick a 140mm fan in the front.

He has a point though they had no right naming this so differently. It should have been the SG05 New Face Big Fan ATX PSU Edition.

Well, there IS the Lian Li PC-TU20. Which is fairly similar to the PC-Q08 I have mothballed. https://www.techspot.com/products/cases/lian-li-pc-tu200.81680/

And my Bitfenix prodigy has handles as well. https://www.techspot.com/products/cases/bitfenix-prodigy-mini-itx.85241/

Ah no the Bitfenix does certainly not have a carry handle, you will break it if you try that, I have tried

Ah no the Bitfenix does certainly not have a carry handle, you will break it if you try that, I have tried
They advertise them specifically as handles/feet, for transportation and shock absorption. I do it all the time, one handed even, though dat flex can get a little hairy with all the stuff I have crammed into mine. You gotta be gentle with it, like a Swedish lady.

If the handles snapped for you did you contact Bitfenix about it? They probably would have helped you out in fixing the handles/replacing the case.

Awesome review!
I think an ATX power supply is better than a SFX power supply due to the larger fan it can have. SFX may give a little more room, but at the cost of being louder.
Great case, kind of disappointing the 980 wouldn't fit though.

> "While we appreciate the ATX support, we would go for the SG13-SFX"

The Silverstone SFX power supplies come with an ATX-to-SFX adapter plate that allows you to use an SFX power supply in an ATX case.

I just bought an SG13 and I already have a Silverstone ST45SF-G to go with it. The extra air space gives all the components a bit more room to "breathe".

BTW, excellent review, thanks for writing it.

Even as an optional extra it would be nice. I loved the SG04 for its handle design, it would be great to see a new version of that case.

I have a question about the GPU that I can fit into this case.
If I put a "CM Poseidon 120V" cooler in front and a 150 mm long PSU to the back, can I still fit in a "Sapphire R9 380" which is 240 mm long?

Thanks

Why is the PSU fan upwards? Can someone please explain? everywhere I read, it says that PSU fans are intake and supposed to take warmer air from the case.

Why is the PSU fan upwards? Can someone please explain? everywhere I read, it says that PSU fans are intake and supposed to take warmer air from the case.
Well when a PSU is mounted on the top of the case and the fan is aimed towards the interior of the case, that would be the natural flow of air (since hot air rises), but that doesn't help actually cool the PSU and sometimes can even increase the temperature of the PSU, potentially reducing it's efficiency or even lifespan. Many cases nowadays have the PSU mounted at the bottom of the case, often with an intake grill at the bottom of the case, which supplies the PSU with it's own air from outside the case which will definitely be cooler than the ambient air within the case.

In the case of this case, they're doing the same but with the PSU mounted up top (due to space constraints).

Back