Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

Hi, im running:

Athlon x2 6400 @3.2
2gig 800mhz
k9a platinum
raptor 150 gig 10.000rpm

and a new 5870, problem is i cant boot with the card installed and im sure its the power supply, a 700watt jeantech from ages ago with 3 seperate 12v rails apparently totalling 68amps.

im looking at buying this: Akasa PowerMax 850W from here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-026-AK

Would this be sufficiant? im lost on all this stuff now, cheers for the help.

Yh, tried different pci-e slots, unplugging everything i dont need, resseting bios, different speed memory, different memory slots and evan tried connecting power to the card via the 4 pin things if you get me, instead of the six pin graphics connectors.

erm i dunno maby, you think the card might be dead then? the fan on the card spins up but i spose thats a basic function.

how could i go about hooking the card up to a seperate psu so its getting the full potential of it and having the rest of my system run of the original to seeif its a power issue

Hucking Feck that guide on how to use 2 psus gave me miny seizure, i dont think ill be doing that.

any ways, i did manage to get hold another compter and power supply to test the card and turns out it may be the card after all.

In the first system (myone) i get all system fans turn on and the graphics card fan comes on (slowely tho), no beeps or nothing and the screen stays black.

On the second system, all fans come on including the graphics card fan (full speed this time tho) and i get either a longish beep then 2 or 3 fast beeps, or 2 or 3 fast beeps then a longish beep,i cant remember which way round, screen stays off this time as well.

going to take the card into pc world to get them to test it as well and if its buggered ill get the place i got it from to swop it.

off topic but i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the site i got the card off?? its www.yoyotech.co.uk

I just had a horrible thought, that i might have fried the card my self.

on my system, the one i put the card in first has a 4 pin power connector on the motherboard right above the 1st pci-e slot and it was connected to the power supply, is that a power supply for the pci-e slot do you think?

maby i overloaded it by using the 2 graphics card power connection and the one going into the motherboard, i cant work out what else it could be used for. its defo not for the cpu cus that is a 4 pin connection.

any one no? lol

The 4 pin connector above the top PCIE slot is a 4 pin molex connector and It is to supply additional power to the pcie slots for "additional stability". when running a crossfire setup. MSI says that you only have to connect this when doing so, however having it connected with only one card should not damage anything.

prod_181d3049bf05dc24a858e7519cd59410.jpg

I can confirm it won't damage anything... the board will just void the additional power without a second card installed I believe.

Yes i tried the other connection thing.

What are the chances the monitor is not capable of displaying anything from it? thats litrally the only thing i have not tried.

its max resolution is 1024/768 and its a lcd, 5+ years old tho...

Sounds very unlikely that you've fried your card by plugging in that extra power, sounds more likely that the card was dead on arrival. If you've tried it in two systems and neither will boot with it, it's either dead, or needs a seriously ridiculous psu even to start, which would seem unlikely, 700W should at least let you boot...

Righty, i have just tried it on a 34 inch hd tv which is also a monitor of coure and i get the same thing.

Im 98% sure its a duff card so im going to take it to my local computer shop, get them to test it and confirm that then send it back.

I must be missing something i got a new replacement card and im still getting the same thing happen, i can only think of it being the power supply still, evan tho its a new one with 750watt and like 4 six pin graphics connectors on it.

Would the bios being not the latest 1 have anything to do with it?

i would get the latest one but the msi site has never let me download it via the msi live update utility in like a year and im told you have to have a floppy drive still to do it manualy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back