Slow boot and 40-50 constant running process?

kgraf

Hi,
I have been working with Broni with what we thought was a malware/virus issue. Turns out that it may be a windows issue here is a link to the thread https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic153777.html. Sometimes there are 40-50 process running, the icons at the bottom right are never consistent on boot-up. All of my computer info is included along with all of the scan reports. If you could I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Okay, we want you to do the following:

1. Start > Run > type in as given ChkDsk > Okay Does the second stage say if it is recovering lost files?

2. Run a harddrive diagnostics by using your harddrive manufacture's free diagnostic utility from their website. Run both short and long tests.

Hey Route 44

Thank you for your response I appreciate it. I ran the ckdsk. Also went to the Fujitsu web site for the diagnostics test could not locate test. Do you know how to find it? Thank you for your time.

Unfortunantly from what I have researcheds Fujitsu does not provide such a tool and that they have turned this responsibility over to Toshiba.

The good news is that Seagate's SeaTools should do the job (it does on Toshiba's drives; Toshiba doesn't provide a diagnostic too as well). You can find this on Seagate's website.

Download the ISO file and burn it to a CD. Then make sure your CD/DVD drive is first bootable in your BIOS. Place CD in the drive and reboot. Seatools will come up almost immediately. Run S.M.A.R.T., the Short DST and especially the Long DST.

DST = Diagnostic Self Test

ISO

What is an ISO file? Do I download ISO to a CD and is this separate from Sea Tools? do I download ST to a CD? How do I gain access to BIOS? Learning is half the fun to getting there:)

1. When you download Seatools to your desktop it will be in an ISO file.

2. Double-click it, and I am assuming you have a burning program and that will pop up, you'll burn Seatools to a CD.

3. Do you have some friends with tech know-how?

No I don't have friends with enough tech know-how for this. I came to this site because I thought it was for people to get help.. I do have some tech know-how knowledge just not enough to fix what is going on now. If you would rather not help me that is fine I can re-post.

Hold on here. Where in the world did you the idea that I'd "rather not help me" notion even come from? Please read my previous posts as I tried to help you.

The reason I asked if you had friends who had some tech knowledge was because you have to get into the BIOS to set the CD drive to first bootable which is something you've never done before and thus difficult to explain on a forum. So if you have someone with tech knowledge they could show you how to do it, not because I don't want to help any more.

Perhaps at this point it is best for someone else to step in. Bookwyrm told me of a simple software download that a person can use to test the S.M.A.R.T. aspect of a harddrive but I don't recall what it is. This way you can skip the more indepth diagnosis.

Bookwyrm told me of a simple software download that a person can use to test the S.M.A.R.T. aspect of a harddrive but I don't recall what it is.
@Route44
Sounds like CrystalDiskInfo. Great user tool!

@kgraf
fyi.. i know you misunderstood Route44's post re: instruction and intent, as i'll attest Route44 is always there to help :grinthumb

I'd also suggest you try
1. First try CrystalDiskInfo to see if it say;s the drive looks Good
2. You're running XP i guess from my quick skim of your other thread? See here to try starting XP with a clean boot to see how it starts

/* edit */
Based on whether a clean boot startup seems to work OK or not would help decide where to next look to cleanup / fix your issue

Back