Slow Computer (yet again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

My dad's computer has been the subject of many of my threads. My last one was about his computer COMPLETELY dying, but it is past that stage and is running slowly, and making a lot of noise. It doesn't help that he has AVG, which doesn't update automatically like Avast!. I have a hijackthis log and I hope that can solve the problems.
Symptoms include:
-Slow starting up
-Slow overall
-Virus scans taking longer than usual
-Not finding any viruses, but there must be something there
My dad is considering formatting, but he doesn't even know the first thing about it. His computer is at least 4 years old, and I personally think formatting wouldn't solve it.
Cheers,
Habylab

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    6 KB · Views: 5
running slowly, and making a lot of noise
Well the noisy part may mean that the HardDrive (internally) is probably the most likely problem.

But to help it out a little
Uninstall :Spyware Terminator
Remove scheduled scan (at Windows Startup) on AVG8
Backup all important data to external device (CD or USB)
And consider purchasing a new internal HardDrive, or a newer computer (depending on cost)

Formatting can actually help sometimes. My mum's PC was slow as ****, so I formatted it, reinstalled Windows and copied her documents back over. Now it takes about 5 seconds to boot up and is immensely faster.

For a four year old computer you're probably better off buying a new PC. Hardware just breaks down and dies, computer's aren't really designed to last very long, honestly. =P

A four-year old Dell is in serious need of a 7200 rpm hard drive. I recommend Western Digital or Seagate. The noise confirms it.
You probably have inadequate memory. Be sure that board is full. Give us the service tag off the back, and we can tell you what you should have.
Download and run Belarc Advisor from www.belarc.com to find how what you have installed.
I would not use both AVG and Spyware terminator on the same machine.

Give us the service tag
I don't recommend this, for privacy issues, unless you want to PM raybay directly with it <-- that would be preferred

Edit:

raybay has turned PM off it seems ?

Ok, so uninstall spyware terminator...
Why?
On my computer i have Avast and spyware terminator running, is that ok too?

spyware terminator can be considered rogue unless it is the one from crawl.com which yours is the legit one

Slow Computer

If the computer is 4 years old, back up the data, buy a new one. It will cost less money in the end.

Hope this helps,

Garry

Blind Dragon said:
spyware terminator can be considered rogue unless it is the one from crawl.com which yours is the legit one
Mine isn't rogue! lol
Any other help?

I don't see much in the log. The only thing questionable

Some Conduit toolbars are reputed to have a certain adware/trackware functionality.

If you want to try fixing that

Launch Hijackthis and do Scan only -> put checks next to

R3 - URLSearchHook: Online TV Toolbar - {40d1c3a7-4ffb-4443-b3a0-a64b2df7fc3b} - C:\Program Files\Online_TV\tbOnl0.dll
O2 - BHO: Online TV Toolbar - {40d1c3a7-4ffb-4443-b3a0-a64b2df7fc3b} - C:\Program Files\Online_TV\tbOnl0.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Online TV Toolbar - {40d1c3a7-4ffb-4443-b3a0-a64b2df7fc3b} - C:\Program Files\Online_TV\tbOnl0.dll

Close all windows except Hijackthis and select Fix Checked

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Boot into safe mode by tapping F8 before windows loads

Go to start -> control panel -> add/remove programs -> uninstall
Online TV

Navigate to and delete the following folder (if there)
C:\Program Files\Online_TV\

The computer is still slow... It is getting louder now, even when only 30% cpu is being used.
I have tried Auslogics BoostSpeed on his computer, and disckeeper, but whenever i defrag it for him, it comes back with loads more fragmented files. I.... I am really stuck with this one.
Also, could i need to run chkdsk /r? Is that the problem, because i went to do a boot-time defrag and it said no, run chkdsk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back