Sluggish Laptop, CPU jumps to 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have attached my HJT log. I've gone through and done a virus scan and a spyware scan. I am not picking anything else up. The first virus scan did find four adwares, but I removed those.

Before even considering malware, doing the following should speed up your system:

Stop these auto-update checks: these are '04' entries, which load at boot from the Registry:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

Take off start at boot:
1. C:\Program Files\HPQ\Quick Launch Buttons\EabServr.exe>
The eabservr.exe process is usually found on Compaq PCs. When running it enables the multimedia buttons present on Compaq keyboards (such as volume control, sleep etc). If this process is not running your computer will use the default keyboard driver, All of the 'Normal' keys will still work but the multimedia keys will do nothing.

2. C:\Program Files\HPQ\Default Settings\cpqset.exe>
The cpqset.exe process is used to change various settings regarding the configuration of your Hewlett Packard Notebook. If you find this tool useful you should leave the process running. Otherwise you can terminate this process, as it is not required for your notebook to operate.

3. C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
The hpwuschd2.exe process will check on the internet for available updates for the drivers of your Hewlett Packard device(s). If updates are available it is used to manage the download and install of the updates. If you are not experiencing any problems with your Hewlett Packard device(s) you can safely terminate this process.

4. C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe
hpqthb08.exe improves the time HP Image Zone takes to load. If you disable the process, HP Image Zone takes longer to start. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.
( you may also find a Service named QPService which can be set to Manual)

5. O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Reminder] C:\Windows\CREATOR\Remind_XP.exe
HP-specific program that reminds users to create System Recovery CDs. Once they use the Recovery CD Creator (Start -> PC Help & Tools -> Recovery CD Creator) to make the recovery CDs the entry will remove itself from the startup list) Do this and be done!

You also need to update the Java:
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03
Download the most current which is v6 u5, then uninstall any earlier versions in the Control Panel:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6463-java-se.html

This should give you a good start..You don't have to have malware to slowdown a computer- starting up only the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad for laptop & network process if on network makes a big difference in load time and since everything that starts up will run in the background, 'carrying around' all those programs will also slow the surfing speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back