Smoking near Mac voids warranty? WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Unless you've just arrived in 2009 on a time machine, you know that smoking isn't good for you. Did you know, that smoking isn't good for your computer, either? It's true, at least according to Apple. Two readers in different parts of the country claim that their Applecare warranties were voided due to secondhand smoke. Both readers appealed their cases up to the office of God Steve Jobs himself. Both lost.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/11/23/smoking-near-mac-voids-warranty

http://consumerist.com/2009/11/smoking-near-apple-computers-creates-biohazard-voids-warranty.html

I guess this just demonstrates that when Mac got close to a 10% market share, they figured they would not be elitist enough. ......wait...is it April 1st already?

It's been a well know fact that smoking is very back for electronics devices. It puts a sticky film wherever it goes, dust & cigarette ashes will get stuck to it where even compressed air won't remove it. Everything also gets a yellowish tint which never goes away no matter how much you clean it.

With that being said, smokers have never been denied warranty before so I'm guessing these two machines weren't just a little "damaged" because of the smoke. They were probably full of ashes, all clogged up & simply beyond warranty.

With that being said, smokers have never been denied warranty before so I'm guessing these two machines weren't just a little "damaged" because of the smoke. They were probably full of ashes, all clogged up & simply beyond warranty.

try reading the article Didou.

they 'allegedly' refused to work on the machines because they were considered bio-hazards because they were 'contaminated' from second hand smoke.

I took my mid 2007 apple macbook (black) into the Jordan Creek Apple Store in West Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, April 25th, because I had been experiencing some issues with it overheating, and figured the fan was bad. After some initial testing, they took the computer in for work under my Applecare plan, which has over a year remaining on it.

Today, April, 28, 2008, the Apple store called and informed me that due to the computer having been used in a house where there was smoking, that has voided the warranty and they refuse to work on the machine, due to "health risks of second hand smoke".

When I asked for an explanation, she said he's a smoker and it's contaminated with cigarette smoke which they consider a bio-hazard! I checked my Applecare warranty and it says nothing about not honoring warranties if the owner is a smoker. The Applecare representative said they defer to the technician and my son's computer cannot be fixed at any Apple Service Center due to being listed a bio-hazard.

Dena [from Jobs' office] did advise me that nicotine is on OSHA's list of hazardous substances and Apple would not require an employee to repair anything deemed hazardous to their health. However, OSHA also lists calcium carbonate (found in calcium tablets), isopropyl alcohol (used to clean wounds), chlorine (used in swimming pools), hydrogen peroxide (also used to clean wounds), sucrose (a sugar), talc (as in powder), etc... as hazardous substances.

I have read the article & we only have the two users' explanation. I know a few Mac users who also happen to smoke & have never had their warranty refused when they needed it, so I figure that if they've refused to honor the warranty in this occasion it's because the machines being sent for repair were in really bad shape.

I have read the article & we only have the two users' explanation. I know a few Mac users who also happen to smoke & have never had their warranty refused when they needed it, so I figure that if they've refused to honor the warranty in this occasion it's because the machines being sent for repair were in really bad shape.

Oh I know Didou, that's why I put 'allegedly' in there :) I was pointing out that the reason they refused was not that they were all mucked up, but that they were to much of a 'Bio-hazard' to work on and be around.

I'm quite the anti-smoker so any argument I can use to get people to not smoke around me is a good thing, now I'm going to start telling people to keep away from & my laptop with their second-hand smoke. ;)

I'm quite the anti-smoker so any argument I can use to get people to not smoke around me is a good thing, now I'm going to start telling people to keep away from & my laptop with their second-hand smoke. ;)

LOL, well now we know your agenda! :p:D

EDIT: I would throw my kids on the list as well.

This kinda flaberghasts me. I mean, to have your warentee rejected due to second-hand smoke?? That's not always your fault, it's the fault of thoes around you. I would understand if it wasa the owners smoking, getting ashes inside the computer, but secondhand? come on.

By second hand smoke they mean any smoke around the computer that isn't generated by the computer itself so unless the computer is a notorious smoker, it will always be second hand smoke.

This is another good reason to hate Apple. I am not a smoker but this sounds like a lot of politically correct B.S. I do not own an Ipod (or will I ever) since you are "forced" to use itunes. I do not like to be forced to do anything. Same goes for Iphone (you have to use AT&T). Same goes for Mac, you have to use OSX (or whatever OS they are pushing). Just my .02 cents

This is another good reason to hate Apple. I am not a smoker but this sounds like a lot of politically correct B.S. I do not own an Ipod (or will I ever) since you are "forced" to use itunes.
You can use other software other than iTunes but it's of course what works best as Apple does both the iPod & iTunes. & I at least hope you are aware that you can use music from other sources than simply the iTunes store.
I do not like to be forced to do anything. Same goes for Iphone (you have to use AT&T).
The iPhone is not the only network-locked phone, if you want to use a Palm Pre on Verizon, does that option exist ? Can you use a Motorola Droid on Sprint ?
Same goes for Mac, you have to use OSX (or whatever OS they are pushing). Just my .02 cents
Well why would you want to get a Mac in the first place if not to use OS X ? You can always install Bootcamp & install Windows on it alongside OS X & unofficially it can even be used to install Linux.

Didou, you are obviously an Apple fan. I was just stating my opinion, I didn't want to start a debate. I just simply do not like like any product that begins with " i ", lol, I simply do not like constraints and it's Apple's right to make all of their products proprietary but it's my right to not buy them.

Well I thought the whole purpose of a forum is to debate/discuss. One sided opinions are to be expected on blogs, not on forums.

As far as being an Apple user, yes I am but not a long-time one. I was also in the anti-Apple camp where everything Apple was either a good laugh or something to criticize until I started using one. That's when you realize most of the critics they get are either outdated or weren't justified in the first place.

Now I use both a Mac & a PC for each excels in their own areas. Having both only means having the best of both worlds.

But when Apple does screw up, they deserve all the flak they get (as does any other company) & I'm generally one of the rock throwers in those occasions.

Good. Has anyone every worked on a smoker's computer before? Disgusting.

well not so good.....heres the point. I wonder how many would be saying "good for him" (Steve jobs decision) if they went to have their automobile serviced and the automaker decided to void their warranty because used engine oil is listed( and it is) as a carcinogen?
whats that you say??? smoking is a choice? so is driving. extrapolate that elitist attitude of Mr jobs and his minions out to everything until it gets to something that you care about, and then tell me its not preposterous.
oh sorry,the doctor wont see you today......because your a health hazard!

driving is more of a necessity than smoking lol; sort of a weird comparison. but i'm not going to argue. personally i could care less what apple does because i don't use a mac and probably never will. it's not that they are discriminating smokers, they are just protecting themselves against the probability that smoke damage is voiding warranty. they can say it however they want but that's what is going on. like i said, not really my problem i just like to point out that smoking is gross and i hate working on systems that have been exposed to a smokey environment.

I have no problem with not fixing a computer that is full or tar and film.

However, that should be explicitly defined in the terms of the Warranty.
b. Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or
maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such
as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;
(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty
installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service
Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or
humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical
power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

I see nothing about smoke or hazardous materials. The OHSA claim is BS there are plenty of materials inside of a computer including heavy metals that OSHA regulates.

I am a smoker and a long time mac user. So I must see the negative of it... LOL... this seem as the advertisement printed on a cigarette pack... anyway, thanks for the concern..
o.gif

I haven't read the earlier posts; but I know that many IT people I know are heavy smokers and I've never seen any server or desktop machine (all windows/linux machines offcourse) fail due to second hand smoking. I wonder if fools (arr I mean folks) at Apple are always busy to come up with new and creative excuses to avoid fulfilling the warranty claims.:suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back