So I think I blew my integrated sound card :[

Okay, so after I finished watching a movie, I go to shuffle my playlist and get ready for bed. I move my hand towards my mouse, and since I was laying on my bed, I had static shock in my hand. Now my headset, Tritton PC510 have an in-line controller, which was sitting right beside my mouse. The static shock, shocks the controller, and I check my headphones to see if they're fine. I hear a distinct, and constant beeping/humming noise. I'm scared. So I re-boot my system, and try again. Same thing. Thinking it was my headset that blew up, I went to try on the laptop. Completely fine. I think - did I blow out my sound card ? (Thinking that it was in it's own slot). I take apart the case of the computer, and I see that my sound card is integrated. I cry :[ Now here I am, posting on this forum, waiting for a reply. Thanks for reading through this far <3 P.S. Can I add in another sound card into a PCI slot, without it having to interfere with my integrated sound card?

P.S. Can I add in another sound card into a PCI slot, without it having to interfere with my integrated sound card?
Yes, you can. Be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS or you could get a conflict.

Do you have sound through regular speakers?

Yep, you can get another sound card no problem. Make sure it works with Windows 7 if you are running that because a lot of the older Creative cards aren't supported in any way after XP (I'm looking at you SBLive Value).

If you just have a 2.1 or 2.0 speaker setup you don't need a fancy expensive card. I picked up a cheap $6 or $7 card at MicroCenter a while back for a secondary PC of mine and its fine.

Not really :p

My speakers require to be plugged into my soundcard, so it can play out of it. But sadly I can't get my soundcard to cooperate with my headset, peripherals etc. And when I plug in my headset, I right click on the speaker icon in the hotbar in the bottom right, and I choose playback devices. My headset shows that it's not connected.

I'm confused. I think we agreed that you probably killed your onboard sound. And that you could also buy another one and use it without any problem.

Back