Some startup programs can't be stopped

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerex

I've disabled as many startup programs as I could, but some don't show up on the disable list, so I have no idea how to stop them from launching when I log in.

When running msconfig, check the 'services' tab as well as the 'startup' tab.

In the run box type services.msc and press enter. Review every item that says 'started' in the status column. You can find out what they do, and whether you want them, and even how to stop them starting, in the following link

www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

and there are numerous links off that to satisfy any curiosity....

I have a suggestion. Before you changes services start up types, let get some idea of what you can't stop.

Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab>> you can UNCEHCK everything EXCEPT the AV, firewall, touchpad if on laptop and network process if on network. Everything else can be started manually (including the printer)

When through> Apply> OK> Reboot> you will get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again'. STAY in Selective Startup. That will retain the changes.

If these are additional programs, please give names.

Services can be changed. But when doing so, the Dependency tab must always be checked first. Let's get this done, the we can help with Services. They must be done carefully.

Is it possible for a program to tie in with a service? I have two lexmark printer programs that exist for photo editing and such. Those I can't stop, and I was thinking these programs might attach themselves to a service not originally part of it.

Is it possible for a program to tie in with a service?
Yes. absolutely. And Lexmark does come with a print server Service. Depending on the type of setup you have, such as if you have a wireless printer, you most likely don't need the Service running.

And IF the Service IS set to Automatic, it will start on boot. Best to set to Manual. Just remember the most important thing when changing Services: do it in Safe Mode and check the Dependency tab. That way you can set up any dependencies properly and when you reboot back into Normal Mode, Service that are needed will start- but not until needed.

Many put their printers on Startup and it's usually multiple processes especially Lex and HP. I think the thought is that if it doesn't start on boot they can't use it- also not so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back