Some websites (mostly downloads) will not load

jonny702

This has been driving me crazy. SO in any of the 4 browsers I have installed (IE 8, Firefox, Chrome and safari) I ocassionally cannot navigate to certain websites. Off the top of my head, some of these include;
Toshiba's website (www.toshiba.ca)
Hewlett packard's website (www.hp.ca)
downloads from logitech (various)
a radio station I sometimes listen too (www.z1035.com)
and the download portion of apple's website

I booted into safe mode with networking, it works fine

I used the norton removal tool to remove NIS 2011, stopped any and all security software in msconfig, reset my browser settings, cleared my browser's cache... nothing works out of safe mode. Any ideas?

Oh and I also ran a triple pass low level format and reinstalled windows 7.... for those that would suggest recovery

I think you need to use the proxy server to help loading, some websites only can be opened under the state of proxy server entry.

The HP site won't load for me (white screens) if I am running "NoScript" in FF, and don't have permission issued for its scripts.

Toshiba loads for the most part, without altering any settings.

So, do you have any firewall installed? And have you updated Java recently?

You could also check your settings for browser cookies, as certain sites won't load if permission to set cookies is not granted.

I think you need to use the proxy server to help loading, some websites only can be opened under the state of proxy server entry.
I don't think that this is the case with the sites mentioned. They will open for me across country lines, (USA to Canada) without changing any browser settings.

The HP site won't load for me (white screens) if I am running "NoScript" in FF, and don't have permission issued for its scripts.

Toshiba loads for the most part, without altering any settings.

So, do you have any firewall installed? And have you updated Java recently?

You could also check your settings for browser cookies, as certain sites won't load if permission to set cookies is not granted.

I don't think that this is the case with the sites mentioned. They will open for me across country lines, (USA to Canada) without changing any browser settings.

Oh, I didn’t consider these factors such as firewall installation, settings for browser cookies. Maybe you are right.

Running from a Safe Mode(SM) boot would necessarily put you into an Admin Login,
while a normal boot would give you UAC access. That could mean two different %userprofiles% and different browser settings.

SM access still has the common Hosts file, so that can be eliminated as an issue.

I see you're accessing Canadian sites (xxx.CA) so you might verify that there are no restridtions (ie blacklists) for those domains.

If you can access a site xyz.ca and see the homepage but can not download from it (per your subject line), that is quite different than not accessing the site(s) at all.

Back