Someone has finally figured out a practical way to interact with smartwatches

Shawn Knight

Staff member

concept smartwatch

While there are plenty of smartwatches to choose from at this stage of the game, nobody has come up with an interface that makes much sense yet. Touchscreen technology works beautifully on a full-sized smartphone or tablet but tapping and swiping on a tiny 1.5-inch display – especially for those with large fingers – just seems silly.

It’s clear that someone will have to come up with an entirely new way to interact with smartwatches and that someone might just be a group of researchers from Carnegie Mellon University.

The team has created a proof of concept that uses the entire screen to interact with the user interface. By that, I mean you can twist, pan, tilt and even click the entire watch face to navigate the UI. For example, you can tilt the face side to side or up and down to navigate in a mapping app and scroll through your calendar or twist it back and forth to set the time on a clock. Heck, you can even play a game of Doom using the controls.

It may sound silly in theory but it’s actually pretty brilliant once you see it in action.

With any luck, the concept will find its way to a major mobile player for use on a consumer smartwatch at some point. Until then (or until someone comes up with an even better interaction method), I don’t see smartwatches gaining too much traction in the marketplace.

Permalink to story.

Now all they have to do is make a smartwatch that want to make you vomit when you look at it. Motorola showed of a nice chronometer style smartwatch concept which hopefully takes off. These hideous square watches have to just go away.

These hideous square watches have to just go away.
Digital displays are naturally square. How are they to make a small form factor (the size of a watch) and ignore the naturally square digital screen? Sure the device could be programmed to take advantage of a non-square screen, but that is not what this video was demonstrating for the practical use of this device.

Why not controls on the sides like regular digital watches? A jog wheel works great on something like this.

Maybe smartwatches will start getting somewhere now, they have to be useful for something, I think... The problem is nobody seems to know for what.

I just love the fact that smartphones have gotten bigger and bigger and now are approaching 6 inch.
So to save you having to deal with your massive slab of a phone you can buy a second device that allows you to interact with it on a tiny little screen. In fact I find it laughable.

Back