Something died..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my computer randomly stopped working... It froze on the logon screen and i let some 2-year old hit buttons on the keyboard for a long while until he tried sticking his finger into one of the case fans... at which point i just hit the kill switch on the PSU. Sinse then the computer won't boot. I can hit the power button, the PSU turns on (the internal blue LED fan is on) and the CPU fan spins and lights up. The mouse and keyboard light up for a second and stop. Also both monitors just say PC Entering Power Save Mode (or whatever they say when they're on but there's no signal...)

My setup is as follows...

Logisys PS550AC12 550W PSU
Microstar MS-7187 Ver. 1.A MB
Intel Pentium D 830
nVidia 8500GT 512mb
1 GB of Nanya Ram (Stock to Medion)
2 GB of an unknown ram... (ordered online... no brand name sticker and i forget what brand it is....)

Thanks in advance...

~Travis

I guess your HD is corrupt. Try CHKDSK /p at the Recovery Console.

CHKDSK /? shows its syntax, use the swicth /p.

I guess your HD is corrupt. Try CHKDSK /p at the Recovery Console.

CHKDSK /? shows its syntax, use the swicth /p.

How...? Nothing loads? No bash screens, no Pentium D loading page that shows up regardless of whether or not there's a harddrive plugged in... Plus, I tried unplugging every non-essential thing (including harddrive) to see if I could get anything to show up on the monitors and had no luck. So i'm sure it's not a HDD problem.

hey i got similer problem there wasnt a 2year old playing around with it but nothing comes up on my HDTV i think it could be a graphics card problem?

My suggestion is to try reseating your RAM. Pull it out, place it back in. No need to change slots. A simple turn off at the PSU shouldn't cause any real damage... (normally) but you never know. Its never a bad decision to reseat your graphics adapter as well.

If worse comes to worse, pull out all the RAM from your machine and see if it provides a memory error beep. If it detects that the RAM is missing, this often indicates that the system board is ok. Try inserting just one piece of memory at a time, or if you have onboard graphics, pull the Nvidia card.

The only last step is to replace the power supply. You can grab a cheap 24pin ATX at any local computer store for around $30. Its a cheap fix, and even if it isn't the problem, you'll have a backup for later.

Good luck :D

Darksrb

My suggestion is to try reseating your RAM. Pull it out, place it back in. No need to change slots. A simple turn off at the PSU shouldn't cause any real damage... (normally) but you never know. Its never a bad decision to reseat your graphics adapter as well.

If worse comes to worse, pull out all the RAM from your machine and see if it provides a memory error beep. If it detects that the RAM is missing, this often indicates that the system board is ok. Try inserting just one piece of memory at a time, or if you have onboard graphics, pull the Nvidia card.

The only last step is to replace the power supply. You can grab a cheap 24pin ATX at any local computer store for around $30. Its a cheap fix, and even if it isn't the problem, you'll have a backup for later.

Good luck :D

Darksrb

I had tied reseating everything down to the processor prior to posting with no such luck. I removed the RAM and turned it on but got no beep. Have no onboard graphics to test that out and no spare graphics card to test... If the graphics card was removed and I turned the computer on, shouldn't the keyboard and mouse have power (assuming the graphics card was the issue...)?

Just ripped a stick of ram out of my girlfriends computer and turned my computer on and bam, it decided to work... So I went through my ram stick by stick and found a bad 512mb one. Computer's working great now. Thanks for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back