Sony and Microsoft announce 'strategic partnership' to develop better game streaming service...

Polycount

Staff
What just happened? Microsoft and Sony have been locked in a bitter console gaming rivalry for years now. Every console generation, both companies desperately try to one-up each other with upgraded hardware, better services (like Xbox's Game Pass), and unique exclusive games. With this longstanding corporate feud in mind, it may come as a surprise to hear that the two companies today announced a "strategic partnership."

This partnership will see both Sony and Microsoft work together on "new innovations" in the fields of cloud-based gaming and artificial intelligence.

It's tough to say precisely what this agreement might entail moving forward from a consumer perspective, but Sony and Microsoft claim their efforts will include "building better development platforms" for content creators of all stripes, and the development of "intelligent image sensor solutions" for enterprise customers.

"...the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services,"

The backbone of this partnership seems to be Microsoft's Azure cloud computing service. "Under the memorandum of understanding signed by the parties, the two companies will explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services," Microsoft's announcement reads. "In addition, the two companies will explore the use of current Microsoft Azure datacenter-based solutions for Sony’s game and content-streaming services."

In short, it sounds like Microsoft and Sony are agreeing to a rare intelligence and resource-sharing deal. Only time will tell what form that partnership will take in the long-run (the entire announcement is quite vague regarding specifics), but we'll certainly keep you updated if any new information comes to light.

Permalink to story.

How about you get together to bring gigabit ethernet and broadband WITHOUT data caps to more people BEFORE you bother talking about "streaming services"?

Oh boy, another M$ disaster incoming!
I can only wonder, with a game streaming track record, how many will fail this time? 50%, 70%, 90%?
My personal bet is all of the current attempts will fail ... again.
Bandwidth aside, we did not solve the problem with latency and compression - it will look ugly with a crowded image ... imagine Far Cry - lots of grass, small objects and they are moving = huge compression artefact everywhere, same as you look at the gameplay on Youtube.

How about you get together to bring gigabit ethernet and broadband WITHOUT data caps to more people BEFORE you bother talking about "streaming services"?
Most of countries in Europe (and Asia) have no limits on internet for a good price (E50 for 300 mbits and often less). Im surprised that in US there is still a monopoly (because ISPs do not actually compete) and noone has done a thing with it.

As I keep saying and will continue to say until something major happens in the world of ISP's. Game Streaming will continue to be useless until everyone has cheap access to today's leased business lines.

However, I don't think this announcement is just Game Streaming, I think this is more Microsoft getting a massive client for Azure. If Microsoft hosts Sony's PSN Network, that's pretty big.

I wonder if this will improve the PSN experience (faster downloads mainly) I guess we'll find out in a year or so.

Yup, they know their days are numbered if they don't figure something out quick.

Well, Apple changed the cellphone bussiness forever, that's a fact. Microsoft lost this train soooooooooooo late that they simply can't get in the bandwagon anymore...

I believe they learned a lesson or two from this, and don't want to be left out of the game streaming bussiness if it ever become a reality.

As I keep saying and will continue to say until something major happens in the world of ISP's. Game Streaming will continue to be useless until everyone has cheap access to today's leased business lines.

However, I don't think this announcement is just Game Streaming, I think this is more Microsoft getting a massive client for Azure. If Microsoft hosts Sony's PSN Network, that's pretty big.

I think it was a big but honest mistake for big government. That they didn't foot the bill to build out the last mile, pipe, however you want to say it for everyone. I think it was the equivalent of not electrifying rural America back when that was new. How can the small companies in the industry let alone the biggest continue to grow when a large part of the population can't get cheap super fast service.

When I think about the modern business history of Sat TV. I think small towns and rural places that stretch all across the nation are big money that is waiting to be tapped. Like giant untouched digital oil fields no one has drilled yet.

With the Sony thing, that's what I thought it was saying too when I read this article. That it seems like a smart business move for MS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back