Sony Handycam ==> BSOD 0X8E

Hi all. My first post. I've been searching and scouring for about 2 hours with no help. I'm getting desperate, so I guess I'll make a post.

I have a Sony HandyCam DCR-HC38. It's a bit old but it's been a fine camera for us. Lately, though, I cannot connect the camera to the PC via FireWire without BSOD: 0X0000008E.

I tried completely deleting/updating FireWire drivers, but that didn't help.
I found via Google that problems like this might be related to IE8, so I reverted back to IE6, but that didn't help.
I've downloaded the BIOS file from Dell (the brand of our PC), but haven't yet installed it. (I've had friends who've done some very bad things to their PCs with BIOS updates and I'm kinda scared to -- unless I absolutely need to)
My virus program shows I'm clean.
I'll run malware later tonight but I ran this a couple of days ago and I was ok.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated. I'd really like to get family movies moved to PC so I can record some new ones! Thanks.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

All errors are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware but sometimes by drivers.

All five cited the Windows OS driver ks.sys as the cause of your issues. Now normally OS drivers don't lend themselves to diagnostic purposes but in this case it tells a lot.

ks.sys belongs to the Windows Kernel CSA library and is used in heavy Multimedia applications - Like Digital cameras, etc. This driver is blocking another driver from loading, CtClsFlt.sys which belongs to your HandyCam software.

Try the following:

1. Uninstall HandyCam software.

2. Defrag your harddrive.

3. Go to Start > Run > type in ChkDsk > Okay Let it run.

4. Reinstall HandyCam software

* What are the results?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll do what you suggest. But while I'm doing this, a question...

BSOD occurs whether or not the HandyCam software is running. I've tried to import video via MovieMaker and I get BSOD. I also get BSOD if *no* software is running, and I just connect the camera. As soon as the PC recognizes that the camera is connected, the blue appears. Does this offer any additional clues?

By the way...I'd rather be trout fishing on an Idaho Alpine Lake. Too bad they'll all be frozen over after this next week

Ah, a fellow trout fisherman! More power to you. :grinthumb

The reason you are getting BSODs is because your drivers are active even while not being used. Just hooking up said camera brings them itno play. Now I don't know anything about your handycam software but there is a lot of software that has at least some drivers engage to be ready at even bbor-up.

I followed steps 1-3 (did not reload Sony software) and I am making some headway.

Now I can at least connect the camera to the PC via FireWire without BSOD. I am able to see the Camera listed in 'My Computer'. I can right click > properties and performa diagnostic check (no errors). But when I try to 'Explore' the camera, I get a little grey window saying 'initializing device', and then BSOD returns.

I'm including the most recent Minidump file. Any clues?

Attachments

• Mini112110-02.dmp
    104 KB · Views: 1
Same 0x8E error and same two drivers as well as the same issue involved.

CtClsFlt.sys is definitely a Sony handycam driver. Further research verified this. Does Sony have updated drivers for this software?

I loaded Ubuntu as a 2nd operating system, and was able to capture video from my camera. Not sure what's wrong with XP, but Linux is working pretty slick for me.

Good for you. Nice move on your part. Glad it is working out and it is much appreciated that you gave us this update. Now, go catch some trout! :)

Back