Sony increases supply of PlayStation 5 consoles, releases new commercial as PSVR 2 launch...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: We're just under a month away from the launch of the PlayStation VR2, and while those uninterested in very expensive, PS5-only headsets are unlikely to care, it's good news for anyone still looking to purchase one of Sony's latest consoles: the Japanese gaming giant says it has increased supply of PS5s, making it easier to find one in stock.

Buying a PlayStation 5 following its launch in November 2020 usually meant giving a scalper 2 to 4 times more than its MSRP, a result of the global chip shortage that impacted so many industries. The situation has improved in recent times; Sony earlier this month said that buying a PS5 should become a lot easier going forward.

In a new post, Isabelle Tomatis, VP of brand, hardware, and peripherals at Sony Interactive Entertainment, thanked fans for their patience in the face of unprecedented demand, reiterating that those looking to buy a PS5 should now find it a less arduous task. Players in the US, UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg, are advised to check direct.playstation.com if they want to purchase a console, games, or accessories.

Sony is so confident PlayStation 5 stock levels can meet demand that it has launched a new marketing push for the console, including a commercial in the style of a live news program. It references current hits such as God of War: Ragnarök and Horizon Forbidden West, as well as highly anticipated upcoming games, including Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and Final Fantasy VXI.

It's likely that the advertising campaign and extra PS5 stock are in preparation for the PSVR2, which arrives on February 22, 2023. The headset's $549.99 price tag is a big step up from its predecessor's $399 launch price. There's also a $599.99 bundle pack that includes Horizon Call of the Mountain, and a PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station will be available on the same day for $49.99.

The PSVR 2 features a 2,000 x 2,040 per eye resolution, a 110-degree field of view, and 120Hz refresh rate on its OLED HDR displays. Sony says there will be 30 games available at launch.

Permalink to story.

They'll line that up for a sequel or when they think it isn't selling enough on PS4/PS5 anymore.
it already is a sequel;) with GT7 coming to PC and with proper dualsense drivers for windows/linux there are chances this will be as well PC ready. If not, then I'll need forget about ps vr and get PC only headset.

Mine as well, but I hope they will throw in PC support.
Not a chance. This is Sony we're talking about here. They don't listen to what their customers want, they TELL them what they want. They're trying to use VR as a selling point for the PS5. If they included PC support then people would simply buy the VR set and would have no reason to buy the PS5 as well. That would mean lost revenue for Sony and we certainly can't have that!

Sony's VR nonsense is going to go down the same way many other proprietary, exclusionary, locked-down garbage they tried to cram down our throats over the past decades. Anybody remember Betamax, MiniDisc, Memory Stick, PSP, etc.?

By the time people get the PS5 after 2+ years the Slim will be coming up pretty soon along with the Pro so you’ll be getting an outdated console soon enough.

Last edited:
Not a chance. This is Sony we're talking about here. They don't listen to what their customers want, they TELL them what they want. They're trying to use VR as a selling point for the PS5. If they included PC support then people would simply buy the VR set and would have no reason to buy the PS5 as well. That would mean lost revenue for Sony and we certainly can't have that!

Sony's VR nonsense is going to go down the same way many other proprietary, exclusionary, locked-down garbage they tried to cram down our throats over the past decades. Anybody remember Betamax, MiniDisc, Memory Stick, PSP, etc.?
I beg to differ - Sony is no a monopolist, they do not TELL you what you want, you don't HAVE to buy their system even to play their games. The PSVR2 is an excellent VR headset and if this will sell more PS5 - kudos to them. There is a solid choice of PC only headset so I will get even better option, and the only reason for me to consider PSVR2 is as primarily PC headset and as small add-on to a few PS5 games I woudln't mind to play. I already have a ps5 but I have no reason to buy PS5 only VR system, so if they want to make money out of my be selling me VR games, they need to enable their products.
Which they constantly do.

Sony's VR is not a nonsense any more than Meta Quest nonsense with VR set to use only with one store, or many other VR sets were trying to do.
And I have no idea what's wrong with PSP? It was more open device than nintendo switch is...

By the time people get the PS5 after 2+ years the Slim will coming up pretty soon along with the Pro so you’ll be getting an outdated console soon enough.
But they are simply very good. PS5 and XSX are quite powerful gaming machines, especially for their price. Sure, I have top level gaming pc and I'd rather play gems there, but consoles, as any dedicated device, are really fun.

I beg to differ - Sony is no a monopolist, they do not TELL you what you want, you don't HAVE to buy their system even to play their games. The PSVR2 is an excellent VR headset and if this will sell more PS5 - kudos to them. There is a solid choice of PC only headset so I will get even better option, and the only reason for me to consider PSVR2 is as primarily PC headset and as small add-on to a few PS5 games I woudln't mind to play. I already have a ps5 but I have no reason to buy PS5 only VR system, so if they want to make money out of my be selling me VR games, they need to enable their products.
Which they constantly do.

Sony's VR is not a nonsense any more than Meta Quest nonsense with VR set to use only with one store, or many other VR sets were trying to do.
And I have no idea what's wrong with PSP? It was more open device than nintendo switch is...
I think he meant PS Vita(not PSP) since Vita was a commercial failure as it fit the criteria of being locked down and very niche. Just like most or even every VR headset, from any company.

Back