Sony is offering its Crystal LED display system, which can reach 16K and 790 inches, to...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: If you’re very, very rich and want only the best cinema screen for the home theatre room inside your mansion, Sony could have the answer. The Japanese firm is making its Crystal LED display system available to consumers having previously only sold it to commercial customers.

First announced at the National Association of Broadcasters trade show back in April, Sony’s Crystal LED screen can reach up to a diagonal size of 790 inches, 17-feet tall, and 63-feet wide, while also boasting a 16K resolution.

The system works by fitting together a series of micro-LED panels, each measuring 16 x 18 inches with a 320 x 360 resolution. By connecting the modules, customers can create different screen sizes and resolutions. If they’re happy with Full HD, 18 panels can be used to create a 110-inch diagonal, 8 x 4-foot screen. Seventy-two panels can create a 4K 220-inch, 16 x 9-foot display, and 8K fans need 288 modules to make a 440-inch, 32 x 18-foot display.

For those who want even more than 8K, there’s a 576-panel option that offers a 790-inch screen measuring an incredible 63 x 18 feet and comes with a 16K resolution, so you’d need a pretty big room to install it.

It’s not just the potential size of the screens that are impressive. The technology uses Crystal LEDs (MicroLEDs) that are 100 times smaller than traditional OLED pixels. They're also brighter–each one is able to reach 1,000 nits for HDR content and has over a million-to-one contrast ratio.

The technology also offers 10-bit greyscale, 140 percent sRGB coverage, 120 frames-per-second, 180-degree viewing angles, and “spectacular” 3D.

But if you want the best, you have to be prepared to pay for it. Each module reportedly costs about the same as a large, high-end OLED TV—around $10,000—which would work out at $720,000 for the 4K screen and $5.8 million for the 16K option.

Permalink to story.

These are devices for businesses so the price is mostly irrelevant to your average home-use buyer.

Personally, I don't like projectors. The bulbs for these things are astronomically expensive even when the projector itself is cheap. On top of that, you need very good HVAC to ensure thermal management and life are good. Open mall spaces and offices are OK.

I prefer a TV.

It's cheaper than ever to build your own "mancave".

#1 Get a reclining couch with cupholders from the furniture store for about $1000 - $2000 depending on your desire.
#2 Get a 70" or 75" TV. That's less than $800 now (Walmart - AMAZING!!!)
#3 Get a decent surround sound home theater-in box for less than $500
#3 Put in one of your basement rooms

If I had known that 70" TV would be so cheap last year I wouldn't have bought an 80".

It's just astounding how cheap a big screen is.

My iPhone XS MAX 512GB cost more than a bigscreen and a couch. It's just crazy.

Last edited:
"But if you want the best, you have to be prepared to pay for it. Each module reportedly costs about the same as a large, high-end OLED TV—around $10,000—which would work out at $720,000 for the 4K screen and $5.8 million for the 16K option."

OK, I'll take three; but only if you'll take my check and not ask for any additional identification .....

Ill just wait for 4k-8k broadcasting and OL tokyo 2020. in nok $x8.36 nok . 16 would needing atleast 6-12 gpus to just run the half of resolution on pc. maybe pcie 5.0 -14 bandwidth.
powersupply must be about 40 x xxx w just to keep up good tv watching.
ist ok when you get 16k in a few years. web cams has only 8k today. so getting xxx times the 720 1k 2k 4 k 5k (6k) would be a change in every squere m inside youre house to be rebuldth for bigger screening.
even a liftime every 10 th it would be 70000 nok for every module + mva and ordering bill to just get it inside house building.
ill just wait till 16k comes as (portable device)* on screen. not to big but darn heavy. tin about heat power it needs to be cooled down to about 30+ every day.
pc you build need horse powers that maybe are in 10 th intel or amd.
nvidia amd cpu 30xx series. rtx rx.

*portable means you can hang it on the wall like a big news paper. and one connection to it all.

Last edited:
Ill just wait for 4k-8k broadcasting and OL tokyo 2020. in nok $x8.36 nok . 16 would needing atleast 6-12 gpus to just run the half of resolution on pc. maybe pcie 5.0 -14 bandwidth.
powersupply must be about 40 x xxx w just to keep up good tv watching.
ist ok when you get 16k in a few years. web cams has only 8k today. so getting xxx times the 720 1k 2k 4 k 5k (6k) would be a change in every squere m inside youre house to be rebuldth for bigger screening.
even a liftime every 10 th it would be 70000 nok for every module + mva and ordering bill to just get it inside house building.
ill just wait till 16k comes as (portable device)* on screen. not to big but darn heavy. tin about heat power it needs to be cooled down to about 30+ every day.
pc you build need horse powers that maybe are in 10 th intel or amd.
nvidia amd cpu 30xx series. rtx rx.

*portable means you can hang it on the wall like a big news paper. and one connection to it all.

did you do the math, be nice to see it. Checking the Sony web site, a 16k display uses 576 modules - each weighing 10kg and requiring 200 watts of power. that is 115,200 watts. It is entirely doubtful that anyone would ever use this as a gaming console, but you have a point - supercomputer! The more likely use would be for more static displays for marketing and art where the wow factor is important, but would require significantly less graphics. That being said, simply because they could create one, demonstrating the limits of the technology in this platform, does not mean that anyone would actually buy one. Seems the smaller scale implementations are the current target market

These are devices for businesses so the price is mostly irrelevant to your average home-use buyer.

Personally, I don't like projectors. The bulbs for these things are astronomically expensive even when the projector itself is cheap. On top of that, you need very good HVAC to ensure thermal management and life are good. Open mall spaces and offices are OK.

I prefer a TV.

It's cheaper than ever to build your own "mancave".

#1 Get a reclining couch with cupholders from the furniture store for about $1000 - $2000 depending on your desire.
#2 Get a 70" or 75" TV. That's less than $800 now (Walmart - AMAZING!!!)
#3 Get a decent surround sound home theater-in box for less than $500
#3 Put in one of your basement rooms

If I had known that 70" TV would be so cheap last year I wouldn't have bought an 80".

It's just astounding how cheap a big screen is.

My iPhone XS MAX 512GB cost more than a bigscreen and a couch. It's just crazy.

Except that TV, while big, has only decent specs. But your point is valid, for a budget man-cave, good enough.

Lately, I like public theater less and less. Either people getting dumber and dumber, or I am getting older.
But when I watched avengers end game, the movie was completely ruined by people whispering, cranching popcorn and talking. it was completely ruined for me.
I HATE A$$#OLES IN THEATERS!

So yea, whatever it is, home theater has only one disadvantage, cant watch those new movies on release.
Yet, the pros overweight every negative heavily.

Lately, I like public theater less and less. Either people getting dumber and dumber, or I am getting older.
But when I watched avengers end game, the movie was completely ruined by people whispering, cranching popcorn and talking. it was completely ruined for me.
I HATE A$$#OLES IN THEATERS!

So yea, whatever it is, home theater has only one disadvantage, cant watch those new movies on release.
Yet, the pros overweight every negative heavily.

Or you know... go at a later date once the crowds have dwindled. That's what I usually do and I can typically find a seat away from the crowd.

Back