Sony is officially launching PlayStation 5 covers in various colors to customize your...

jsilva

In brief: After multiple manufacturers launched their own PlayStation 5 faceplates, and a few lawsuits filed by the Japanese gaming company, Sony has finally announced that it will launch PS5 covers in various colors. In addition, it also revealed there will be new DualSense color variants.

Faceplates for the PlayStation 5 became available soon after Sony released the console, but the company wasn't pleased to see others cashing in on it. To prevent these unlicensed plates from being sold, Sony filed lawsuits against some of them including PlateStation5 and Dbrand. However, the latter found a way to circumvent the situation by redesigning its covers.

Now, Sony is launching its official faceplates for both the original and digital edition PlayStation 5 in galaxy-inspired colors. These colors include red, blue, purple, pink, and black, and each set will cost you $55.

Like the unofficial faceplates, the new Sony covers easily replace the stock versions. The red and black faceplates will be available on Sony's online store from January 21, 2022, while the others are expected to launch in the second half of 2022.

Adding to the existing DualSense portfolio, which includes the original white, red, and black color variant, Sony is also launching its controller in blue, pink, and purple. The new color variants will be globally available starting January 14, 2022, for $75.

The first hint Sony would be launching official covers for the PlayStation was found less than a month ago when Sony's "Cover for electronic device" patent was discovered. Back then, it was unclear if it would be an actual plate or just a skin to cover the faceplates, but we're now sure it's the former.

Permalink to story.

After so many people complained about it's looks this was bound to happen and that time they forbid dbrand from making skins for it was also telling. Black version looks the best but I hope they come with a "slim" or "pro" version that looks...different than this one.

Ick. Next they'll be adding RGB to these awful colors to make them more bling!

Oh crap, they're probably reading the comments here and are now working on adding LEDs that cost next to nothing, but will double the price of the covers. If you do this, Sony, it's my idea, I want in on swindling dumb people out of their money!

It's pointless to compare the two, they're different worlds with some overlap. But Starcraft would never make any sense on a console, and neither would Crash Team Racing on the PC.

Starcraft was on the n64 and probably would be fine on switch with the touchscreen. As for Pc Crash Team Racing would work fine with a controller.

It's pointless to compare the two, they're different worlds with some overlap. But Starcraft would never make any sense on a console, and neither would Crash Team Racing on the PC.
Last time I checked you can play racing games on PC. With a keyboard no less!

I beat multiple need for speed games, flatout and flatout 2, and racedriver grid with said keyboard.

Yay, more than a year late.

At least they have the black one included. Definitely should've been default...

Back