Sony is reportedly exploring the sale of its PlayStation Vue Internet TV service

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: What the industry really needs is true a la carte option, not just traditional bundles delivered over the Internet. But that seems less likely than in recent years as dedicated video streaming platforms are currently all the rage. Apple and Disney, for example, are set to launch their respective streaming services in the coming weeks which could slow Internet TV growth across the entire industry.

Sony has reportedly recruited Bank of America Merrill Lynch to explore the possibility of selling off its PlayStation Vue streaming service. The sale would include Sony’s streaming technology and a list of around 500,000 subscribers, sources familiar with the matter tell The Information.

Sony has already approached at least one potential buyer – FuboTV – although discussions haven’t advanced, one source said. The company would likely look to get “tens of millions” for the service, the same source noted.

Sony introduced its over-the-top Internet television service for cord-cutters in late 2014 and launched it in select markets a few months later. It’s one of several traditional cable / satellite TV alternatives that have emerged in recent years to challenge the old guard. Rising programming costs, however, have slowed growth and kept the service from making Sony any money. In fact, it is costing the company money according to two sources.

Rivals like Sling TV and Hulu Live are more heavily promoted and have attracted far more subscribers – around 2.5 million each, people familiar with the matter claim.

Eric Haggstrom, forecasting analyst at eMarketer, believes some of these services could eventually go away entirely. They’re all essentially the same meaning they all face the same challenges as traditional TV bundles.

Masthead courtesy Bloomberg

Permalink to story.

They were pioneers and allowed their service to go stale over time with lack of innovation and support.

Sounds eerily similar...3d....psp...vita....

I use Youtube TV and would argue its by far the best streaming service out. It has an easy to use interface, great picture quality, tons of on demand content and an unlimited DVR. There are also zero restrictions on when and where you can stream the service. If your a Hulu live, at&t now or psvue or any other service users, do yourself a favor and take the time to try their free trial, I bet you wont go back.

They were pioneers and allowed their service to go stale over time with lack of innovation and support.

I use Youtube TV and would argue its by far the best streaming service out. It has an easy to use interface, great picture quality, tons of on demand content and an unlimited DVR. There are also zero restrictions on when and where you can stream the service. If your a Hulu live, at&t now or psvue or any other service users, do yourself a favor and take the time to try their free trial, I bet you wont go back.

I have YTTV also and of it all I would say the best is the DVR. While the other streaming TV services have very restrictive DVR services or tries to milk additional fees for a more, yet still quite restrictive DVR the Youtube TV DVR is unlimited and keeps recordings for 9 months.

I compared their streaming services to the others and they seem to have the best lineup for live and streaming channels per my taste. Heck their top tier $85 package includes two PPV movie channels. And Sony has the backing to keep it running. We are heading to having to pay for dozens of separate streaming services that will nickel and dime you to death. Welcome to the future.

It had 2 price hikes I believe, I know for certain at least one.
I want to say it started at 35 a month? At that price it was extremely compelling. Now it's 50, and if you include all the add-ons it shoots up to almost 150.
It's interface and features are great I'll give you that.
I really like vues interface as well. I think Sony got the name wrong. A lot of ppl confuse it with the PlayStation and have no idea what it is

Back