Sony is reportedly winning the console wars in the UK

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
TL;DR: It will still be a while before we get any solid numbers, but going by sales reports from physical retailers in the UK, it looks like the PlayStation 5 is in the lead in the consoles wars. The Xbox Series X|S is barely in contention in terms of total units sold, trailing behind the Nintendo Switch.

With manufacturers' tendency to keep sales figures under wraps until quarterly reports, we sometimes have to go by industry analysts' estimations to get an idea of how well a product is selling. We know that the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S are selling like hotcakes because few people, aside from scalpers, can get their hands on them.

Be that as it may, British market data firm GfK reports that in the four-week period ending November 28, retailers sold more than 900,000 video game consoles in the UK. Most were PlayStation 5 consoles, with the Nintendo Switch coming in second.

GamesIndustry notes that November 2020 was the eighth biggest month for home console units moved (not including handhelds) and the second biggest in terms of revenue, only trailing behind December 2013 when the retailers received large shipments of PS4 and Xbone consoles.

GfK also reports that UK consumers purchased 2.38 million games between October 25 and November 21. Nintendo came out on top in that race, with more than 833,000 Switch titles sold. Top sellers for the handheld hybrid were Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, Minecraft, and Super Mario 3 All-Stars. PlayStation 4 was second in terms of total games sold.

The top five best-selling disc games on any system were:

• Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  • FIFA 21
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Watch Dogs: Legion

While Call of Duty may have been the number one selling game across all platforms, in terms of PS5 launch titles, it came in a distant second to Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

Keep in mind these figures are based on sales by brick-and-mortar retailers based in the UK only. We likely won't get any worldwide estimates until the first of the year or when Sony and Microsoft post their quarterlies.

Permalink to story.

It is potentially stock related, although I know if Sony could ship another half million consoles they would probably sell those too....

They probably like went around asking buyers...

Did you get your PS5? No, it was just a box full of trash that arrived :(
And did your neighbor get his PS5? No, his PS5 box contained a Chinese penis pump instead :( Well, was it any good at least? No, it was a shrimpdick model :(

Sony: Well, anyhow, they stole all our products, and nobody stole xBox products, so we are more popular, and therefore we win!!!

Last edited:
Both PS5 and Xbox Series X are selling as many as each can make. Who comes out on top is really a matter of who was able to supply more consoles to users. There is no lack of demand for either device.

I don't know who will eventually sell more consoles but from what I've seen PS5 looks far more popular than Xbox having exclusives and all.

There is no console war anymore, not when multiplatform online services are where the money is shifting to.

At this point, if it's not on PC for me, then I'm fine without it. There are enough games coming out that exclusives aren't worth it.

There is no console war anymore, not when multiplatform online services are where the money is shifting to.

At this point, if it's not on PC for me, then I'm fine without it. There are enough games coming out that exclusives aren't worth it.

I have been saying exactly that.

In a "console war"...There's a winner and a loser.

Now: the corporations all benefit: Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all win.

It's more cutthroat between Apple iPhone and everyone else.
Apple iPad put a lot of other tablet makers out of business. iPhone kills off Android phones that are marginalized while very few makers can compete.

Hmm, so are you saying the Xbox is not sold out in the UK? I was under the impression that both consoles are basically sold out, with scalpers partly to blame. If so, don't this basically say there is like no stock given to the UK or am I mistaken on the sold out part?

Its articles like this that start fanboyism and that can start hatred against users.

How many times does MS have to say that they dont care if Sony sells more units. Its not about that for them. They make a console cause they can. Sony makes one cause its part of their money making business. MS make and have so much money. They lost money for yrs in their game division. Didnt affect them one bit.

Hmm, so are you saying the Xbox is not sold out in the UK? I was under the impression that both consoles are basically sold out, with scalpers partly to blame. If so, don't this basically say there is like no stock given to the UK or am I mistaken on the sold out part?
Yep no stock of any of the latest consoles - some people have taken to ordering from other Amazon sites around Europe to get hold of one (last I heard there were some units on Amazon.de) .

I always preferred the Playstation platform to the Xbox. It's not because I think that the Xbox isn't any good, but because I much prefer the Playstation's controller layout and all the best Ace Combat games were only on Playstation.

Back