Sony nixes UMD-to-PSP Go plans, Europeans eligible for three free games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

One of the core differences between Sony's upcoming PSP Go and previous generation is the lack of a UMD drive. This inherently means that users must download digital copies of games and other content. For most new customers this is a non-issue, but things aren't that simple for those who already own physical PSP media.

By upgrading from an older rendition of the PSP, you would effectively lose access to all of your UMD titles -- unless, of course, you're okay with toting around both consoles. Acknowledging this months back, Sony revealed plans to offer some form of "good-will" program, which would allow UMD games to be somehow transferred to or traded for a digital copy. Unfortunately, the company has since scrapped that initiative.

Yesterday at the Tokyo Game Show, an SCEA spokesperson told Kotaku, "We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time." To kick US adopters while they're down, Europeans who upgrade to the PSP Go will be eligible for three free games via the "PSP Go Rewards" promotion.

The PSP Go is slated to debut on October 1, and downloadable material consists of 225 games, 2,300 films, and 13,000 TV show episodes. For those of you with an extensive UMD library, is this news a deal breaker?

Permalink to story.

So glad I sold my old PSP and games... and the funny part is I've even lost interest in the Go since then.

For most new customers this is a non-issue
not exactly as sony are trying to destroy the second hand games market.
you are now NOT ALLOWED to LEND, TRADE, or SELL any of your games, i would say this is a very large issue as i have always traded games with my friends so just want to stop all trades & force all titles to be sold new ONLY.
on top of this the titles are being sold at full retail prices even though overheads are significantly reduced, time to bend over & lube up for Sony's anti consumer approach as we have come to expect from this corporation.

hello ...
why don't we let the PSP Go to new users & those having the old one keep it ...no issues!
i understand the problem with re-selling used games ... then i think the only good move SONY must do is a price cut on the GO & lower price on the games !!!
GO for GO or not to GO for GO !!!? That is the question !?
cheers!

A lower price for new games that are non-tradable, non-resellable? Not likely, at best it will be artificially higher than in-store packaged game. This IS an anti-consumer move to offer downloadable content only. Hmmm...what if my favorite title that I had on the old PSP is no longer available? Is there ANY way for the consumer to transfer their physical media to this new device? And then theres the issue of censorship. This and similar issues will be plaguing the new generation of wireless handheld devices ('Can I put anything on my Kindle?' or 'Why can't I put this app on my iphone?'). Welcome to the technological revolution... er, dictatorship!

So, they make the PS3, and only some of them are backwards compatible to PS2. Then they make the slim PS3, and this time no backwards compatibility at all...
And people are surprised the new PSP will not support the old games? Really? Sony seems to be throwing on the blinders and only looking ahead, not behind at the huge wealth of existing titles that can add depth and incentives to people wanting to get the next great thing. Ah well, it's cheaper for them to make, easier for them to support, and hey they can still sell the old styles (PS2 and PSP) so it's all good for their accountants.
Seems like Sony could maybe look at a small external UMD drive that could connect on the USB port and let us play our older games without having to buy the EXACT same games that we have ALREADY paid for, just in digital format instead. That, my friends, is the deal-breaker for me. If you're gonna violate me, at least buy me dinner first, Sony.

has anyone used one of these yet? I have not but it looks horribly uncomfortable to me..then again I found many games like Metroid Prime Hunters unplayable without the accessory that made made the DS into the shape of a modern controller lol.

mattfrompa said:
has anyone used one of these yet? I have not but it looks horribly uncomfortable to me..then again I found many games like Metroid Prime Hunters unplayable without the accessory that made made the DS into the shape of a modern controller lol.
Just as a little side-note on this, the Go may be slightly uncomfortable to use for extended periods, but the integrated bluetooth is reported to allow you to use the PS3 controller on it, something that seems like a seriously sweet perk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back