Sony officially unveils the SmartWatch 2

David Tom

sony smartwatch android app mobile computing smartwatch 2

Last week, we were made aware of an upcoming Sony SmartWatch through a series of Tweets made by the Japanese company. Although consumers and analysts were quick to make educated guesses about the third-generation device, no one was exactly sure what to expect. However, the SmartWatch 2 was officially announced today, and it is being characterized as the perfect companion to any Android device.

The physical design of the SmartWatch 2 closely resembles that of its predecessor, sporting the familiar aluminum body known for being dust and water resistant. This means that users should remain calm in the event of a rainstorm; although it won't withstand going for a swim.

When paired with a smartphone the watch offers the ability to answer calls, take pictures, browse Facebook and Twitter feeds, and remotely check emails and text messages. Its capabilities can be taken even further by downloading one of several mobile apps. For example, the SmartWatch 2 can double as a fitness tracker if accompanied by an app such as Runtastic.There are currently over 200 apps exclusively being offered for the product, and an open API means that developers can churn out even more.

To make these tasks easier than ever before, Sony has upgraded the screen from 1.3-inches to a more convenient 1.6-inch, 220x176 pixel display. With so much versatility, the company has high hopes for the new product. “Combining form and function in a sleek design, it serves as a multi-functional watch, notifier, Android app interface and phone remote control, all-in-one,” reads the press release.

Perhaps the biggest fears held by consumers have to do with battery life. Most people understand the hassle and annoyance of recharging their smartphone on a daily basis; a practice that normally doesn’t extend to wristwatches. To address this issue, Sony has stated that the SmartWatch 2 should last up to three to four days with regular usage. Although these figures don’t measure up to traditional watches and might still deter some customers, it’s comforting to know that a daily recharge won’t be necessary.

The SmartWatch 2 will be compatible with any device running Android 4.0 or later. The watches are slated to be released in September of this year. No pricing details have been announced as of yet.

Permalink to story.

Kudos for Sony for giving it a dose of fashion. If we're gonna wear technology it can't look too much like technology.

the watch offers the ability to answer calls, take pictures, browse Facebook and Twitter feeds, and remotely check emails and text messages.

So does my phone. And its not attached to my wrist. This is just another "trendy" POS that will go nowhere. People already look stupid seemingly talking to themselves on a bluetooth device in public. Imagine someone talking to their watch.

Watch the andriod sheep make this a number 1 seller... "OMG ITS ANDRIOD!"...

Sony has stated that the SmartWatch 2 should last up to three to four days with regular usage. Although these figures don’t measure up to traditional watches and might will still deter some most customers
Fixed

I hope this watch is a hit.

If you truly love tech, you wouldn't count this out before reading a review. If you are one of the ones that are already bashing it, then you weren't all that interested to begin with.

*shrugs*

Can't wait until I have to charge my watch ever other day instead of changing the battery every few years, or better still wearing an automatic. I already love having to charge my phone every other day.

Watch the andriod sheep make this a number 1 seller... "OMG ITS ANDRIOD!"...
We know Apple is going the same route & Apple users will think it's the greatest thing since Santa Claus. Android users tend to be a much more sensible bunch and will test the water first. Most Apple users will buy that iWatch junk then spend the next couple of years trying to justify their useless overpaid for purchase. Go figure.

I hope this watch is a hit.

If you truly love tech, you wouldn't count this out before reading a review. If you are one of the ones that are already bashing it, then you weren't all that interested to begin with.

*shrugs*
Yeah that's me. I've lived all my life not needing anything like it so I won't die wondering. Give it a couple of generations to catch on then maybe it could be worth considering.

I love reading nay-sayer comments. Always blasting new ideas as POS or "will never catch on" as if somehow they can see into the future. You people don't know jack about tech so please keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. The same was said about the Google Glass and yet its so desired that even the US Gov't is questioning it's existence. The idea of looking at a watch to see some basic functions is actually quite desirable to most except because being a geek is still taboo some people will still criticize the tech before it even hits the market.

Oh and by the way, stop bitching about battery life. None of you stopped using your favorite gadgets that required daily recharges just because of the daily recharge requirement. Everyone wants the latest and greatest but are not willing to pay extra and want it to last as long as a monochrome screen device. Get a clue, the tech is not there yet, companies are not gonna put 1 month battery life batteries and then sell you the device cheap.

I love reading nay-sayer comments. Always blasting new ideas as POS or "will never catch on" as if somehow they can see into the future. You people don't know jack about tech so please keep your uneducated opinions to yourself. The same was said about the Google Glass and yet its so desired that even the US Gov't is questioning it's existence. The idea of looking at a watch to see some basic functions is actually quite desirable to most except because being a geek is still taboo some people will still criticize the tech before it even hits the market.
Oh and by the way, stop bitching about battery life. None of you stopped using your favorite gadgets that required daily recharges just because of the daily recharge requirement. Everyone wants the latest and greatest but are not willing to pay extra and want it to last as long as a monochrome screen device. Get a clue, the tech is not there yet, companies are not gonna put 1 month battery life batteries and then sell you the device cheap.

Yea you are right. Because new technology has always caught on even when the tech wasn't there right? "Bitching" about battery life and functionality are valid points. What makes a product successful is SALES not trendiness. Think about the original tablet PCs(2002). The idea was great, the product, not so much. The technology was not there yet. When you take into account previous products and information throughout the years, your "uneducated opinions" now become educated points.

The US Gov't is not "questioning (Google Glass) existence", they are questioning the ramifications of how a product like this might affect rights of privacy. The fact of the matter is, Google Glasses have not been released. You cant gauge desirability now, when you may not be able to use them in public areas in the future.

Also, not everyone is willing to adopt new technology just because is the "latest and greatest". A new product doesn't make it a useful product.

I'm sorry but your arguments are completely wrong here. And all of your points have been disproved. "I award you no points, and my god have mercy on your soul"

"When not connected to your phone, SmartWatch 2 works as a standalone digital
watch. Read previously received notifications, access the time,"

Access the time.

Pretty much, the three day battery life estimate is with the screen off.

Back