Sony: PlayStation Move shortages could last until February

Jos

Staff

It looks like Kinect isn’t the only motion-controller selling well in the run-up to Christmas. Although the number of units sold varies depending on who you ask, Sony has said it misjudged demand for the PlayStation Move and that stores are now running low on stock across Europe, America and Japan. According to SCEA’s senior VP or marketing Peter Dille, the Wii-like controller will probably be hard to come by until January or February of 2011.

Some estimates put the Move at approximately 400,000 units sold in the U.S. in its first six weeks on the market, while in Europe that number is reportedly somewhere in the region of 1.5 million. By comparison, Microsoft said last week that Kinect sold one million units globally in its first ten days of availability, but it didn’t break down the number by region.

Kinect may be grabbing all the attention lately as hackers continue to find alternative uses for the motion-sensing accessory. But despite having a higher "wow" factor compared to the PlayStation Move, when it comes to the gaming experience not everyone is impressed with Microsoft’s device. In Popular Science's recent "Best of What's New 2010" feature, the magazine chose Sony’s Move over Kinect, claiming it is the first motion-capture game system accurate enough to attract the hardcore gamers who consider the Wii and Microsoft Kinect to be kids' stuff.

Permalink to story.

I don´t really see the diference betwen Wii motion and PlayStation move, KINET instead is a really jump Off

Agreed with Edison, the Wii thing from my pospective was great anyway and Sony has made it a bit more accurate but Microsoft with the Kinect thing does sound like something that if it works. could be epic.

I haven't tried Kinect so I can't say alot but it does stand out from the crowd thats for sure.

Also note how no one is trying to hack the Sony Move or Wii motion controllers but they are the Kinect, from my perspective, means it must have something going for it :)

burty117 said:
Also note how no one is trying to hack the Sony Move or Wii motion controllers but they are the Kinect, from my perspective, means it must have something going for it :)

Yeah, the Move was not innovative, just an improved Wii. MS really has a chance to do a lot of stuff with this. Imagine if you lined your whole house with these sensors. The applications could be limitless, and not just for gaming.

I don't really care, I think move(and kinect, motion stuff) has alot of potential but right now there's almost no good games out for them, february hey? I think that's when a game called Socery(like Harry Potter, it's developed 'ground up' for move) is being released for move, that's the game that I'll get move especially for =)

Well you have to try Kill Zone on the move, that's what I hear tho...gonna have to try it out myself for a final evaluation.

gwailo247 said:

Yeah, the Move was not innovative, just an improved Wii. MS really has a chance to do a lot of stuff with this. Imagine if you lined your whole house with these sensors. The applications could be limitless, and not just for gaming.

Im really planing to have this on my never off PC and when I get home say PC "TechSpot", "Music" and go to bath.. That woul be REALY FREAKIN BIG!! Thats why Kinet is that good, is not intended only for gaming!. hard-boiled gamers think that all is game intended "WELL WAKE UP" Life is up to other things.

P.D. : I say this as a Retired Hard gamer, I get a life now.. couh couh diferent life.

I don't really want to spend another $30 per additional controller. The MS can offer face recognition which lets me step up to my game and play without having to pick an avatar or buy more stuff for friends or guests. The Wii was good. Move is nice. But Kinect is the best.

Back