Sony unveils 4K laser projectors with outstanding picture, but it will cost you

Daniel Sims

Staff
The bleeding edge: This week, Sony unveiled three new home cinema projectors that each boast a crisp native 4K image but are smaller than their predecessors. The laser projectors occupy three very different pricing tiers, but all of them are several times more expensive than some lamp-based 4K models.

All three of Sony's new 4K laser projectors support wide dynamic range and dynamic HDR enhancers. These features should offer higher contrast while adjusting HDR quality frame-by-frame.

Although these models restrict 120Hz to 2K resolution and don't have variable refresh rate (VRR), they do feature reduced input lag for gaming. Sony claims that at 60Hz, the projectors have just 21 milliseconds of lag and only 13ms at 120Hz.

The lowest-tier model is the $6,000 VPL-XW5000ES which offers 2,000 lumens of brightness. The next step up, the $12,000 VPL-XW6000ES, goes up to 2,500lm and includes an Advanced Crisp-Focused lens for a more consistent image across a wider area. The big dog of this lineup is the VPL-XW7000ES, which goes for $28,000 and reaches 3,200lm at 4096 x 2160 resolution.

For comparison, the lamp-based and LED-based gaming projectors Acer launched last year support VRR and up to 240Hz in 1080p (or 4K at 60Hz) for a fraction of the cost of Sony's new models. Laser projectors offer increased image quality and last longer than lamp bulbs but for their price premium.

Sony plans to launch all three projectors this summer.

Permalink to story.

So it is even more expensive than LG Z2 88" 8K Ultra HD TV, which beats it in quality by a mile. Sony has gone mad in its product pricing.

You can’t compare projectors to TVs.... you could have a 300” screen with this projector....
But you cannot even compare image quality between 88"/97" LG's Z2 8K TV-s and Sony's 4K projectors at 300", the former is so much better - top fidelity in the industry. And that's without mentioning that you do not need to sit in a dark room to enjoy watching it.

Last edited:
You can’t compare projectors to TVs.... you could have a 300” screen with this projector....

Not true, they have been selling projectors at these price points for YEARS. You just happened to hear of them today. Did you know they also sell a 98” 8k TV for $60k? Did you know they have a 100” 4k screen on display at your local best buy for $15k?

Sonys sells all kinds of badass crap, I dunno who buys it, but they continue to develop it.

Not true, they have been selling projectors at these price points for YEARS. You just happened to hear of them today. Did you know they also sell a 98” 8k TV for $60k? Did you know they have a 100” 4k screen on display at your local best buy for $15k?

Sonys sells all kinds of badass crap, I dunno who buys it, but they continue to develop it.
That’s my point… you can’t compare them to TVs… high end projectors are far more expensive (except for crazy 100” 8k TVs where they are about the same) but they go MUCH bigger than even the biggest and craziest TVs!

Even a $1000 projector can make a 300” image… find me a TV that can do that…. For less than $150,000…

And if you’re a multi-millionaire who wants a home theatre… it’s actually a fairly “cheap” way to go…. Not to mention a 100” TV is a hell of a lot harder to carry :)

"The big dog of this lineup is the VPL-XW7000ES, which goes for $28,000 and reaches 3,200lm at 4096 x 2160 resolution."

Whaaaaaattttttttt! Not evening apple is that crazy with the price tags.

"The big dog of this lineup is the VPL-XW7000ES, which goes for $28,000 and reaches 3,200lm at 4096 x 2160 resolution."

Whaaaaaattttttttt! Not evening apple is that crazy with the price tags.
It's meant for expensive theatres... that's how much a high-end projector goes for...

That’s my point… you can’t compare them to TVs… high end projectors are far more expensive (except for crazy 100” 8k TVs where they are about the same) but they go MUCH bigger than even the biggest and craziest TVs!

Even a $1000 projector can make a 300” image… find me a TV that can do that…. For less than $150,000…

And if you’re a multi-millionaire who wants a home theatre… it’s actually a fairly “cheap” way to go…. Not to mention a 100” TV is a hell of a lot harder to carry :)
Sorry I quoted the wrong post, meant to quote the guy above you

Last edited:
So it is even more expensive than LG Z2 88" 8K Ultra HD TV, which beats it in quality by a mile. Sony has gone mad in its product pricing.

Back