Sony wins temporary restraining order in PS3 hacking lawsuit

Emil

Staff

Sony has won a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) that stops hacker George Hotz, also known as GeoHot, from putting information on the Web about the hack. GeoHot has 10 days to comply with the Californian court order and hand over his computers to Sony.

PSX-Scene has posted the relevant court documents. If you want to read through them yourself, here are the links to the PDFs: one and two.

The court order comes despite the lawsuit being delayed because San Francisco District Court Judge Susan Illston does not agree with Sony's argument that California courts have jurisdiction due to the use of a Paypal account and GeoHot agreeing to the Terms of Service on the PlayStation Network. Nevertheless, Illston granted the order citing the legal concept of "purposeful direction."

Sony's legal attacks against the hackers that released the PlayStation 3 root key and custom firmware began earlier this month. Sony is targeting 100 members of the fail0verflow hacker collective who found security codes for the PS3, as well as GeoHot who had independently found and published the PS3 root key.

Of course, Sony's recent victory with the TRO is just the beginning. The company still has to actually win its formal lawsuit to collect any damages or a permanent injunction. Furthermore, forcing GeoHot to stop distributing his work won't stop anyone else; it's all over the Internet anyway.

Sony actually released a new mandatory PS3 security update, bringing the firmware version up to 3.56, which was meant to keep hackers from executing unsigned code such as homebrew programs and pirated games. The new firmware was cracked in a matter of hours by KaKaRoToKS, so Sony effectively achieved nothing.

Permalink to story.

Wonder what GeoHot will do with the 10 days he has to turn over his computers, like there will be any residual forensic evidence :rolleyes:

How ironic would it be if someone just so happened to "hack" into GeoHot's computers and get all the information ;P

That would be a hoot :) But if he's half as good as reported wouldn't think the odds are very high.

If it where me I would go to the computer recycling center get a PC and a LT do a DOD WHIP DELETE on the drives and give them to Sony and tell them to piss off!!! Seriously, what does Sony expect to accomplish by taking his computers? The damage is done! If I where Sony I would hire him as a consultant!

I have a bootable linux install on a jumpdrive. Everything I don't want people to know I'm doing, I do on the jumpdrive. If someone tried to take my computer, good luck finding that stuff.

Mizzou said:
That would be a hoot :) But if he's half as good as reported wouldn't think the odds are very high.

Hm, I think my message got lost. Let's try it this way:

Wouldn't it be ironic if some "stranger" (someone he's "never met") just so happened to hack into his computer and "steal" the information?
There, I think I made that loud and clear, lol If not, then what i'm saying is he asks someone to hack into his computer and copy the info onto theirs, thus not having to go through the process of working up a new batch.

If what Sony ever wanted was to ban cheaters from the PSN...
All that they really seek IMO is to keep their damned crap DRM alive so that their EXTORTION RACKET on game, console and services prices continues!

Any one remember a time when you paid money for something that i was your to do with what you wanted. Companies want people to pay hundreds or dollars for their stuff, then tell them that they can't do this or they can't do that with it. If i pay for something and take it apart to see how it works, and then tell other people how it works, i think it's really my business. Soon ford and dodge will be going after the back yard mechanic because he figured out how to replace the starter on an engine, and not making people go to there service centers.

sony hasnt acomplised anything becouse 10hours l8r of the 3.56 uptadte kakorotos updated a new 3.56 custumfirmare same as geohots but works on 3.56 wtf sony r gay lol geohot all the way

10 days. Plenty of time to upload the files to dozens of sources and then do a guttman pass on those drives.

LOL Sonyfailz0r

I guess sony want his computer so that sony can figure out, how he figured it out. It would probably be easier and more cost effective just to hire the guy

"10 days. Plenty of time to upload the files to dozens of sources and then do a guttman pass on those drives.

LOL Sonyfailz0r"

That's some mighty clear thinking there, buddy.

Let's see, intentionally disregarding a court order to cease the distribution of devices used in an alleged crime and destroying evidence, obstruction of justice…how much worse could he possibly make it for himself?

His only hope is to protest the insane directive to deliver the evidence into the hands of the plaintiff instead of an independent forensics expert who would be above suspicion of evidence tampering.

They would have to prove it was him.

How do they exactly know what computers he did the work one? Answer: They don't.

man why do you guys love ruining gamingi cant even play a reg game without hackers ruining it instead of you hackers doing damage why cant you give us ways to improve our gaming we all know you guys are capable of doing this

Hackers, Modders, and Pirates

I don't wanna start a flame war. Within the so-call hacking "community" we have many different motives, none of which is to ruin the accepted norm for the masses of you who are fine with it. Even we have rogues though, and trying to weed them out is just going to be a pain in the *** for everyone involved. A thieves guild such as this depends on the justice system to find its weakest members and exemplify them. The problem is, the brutish nature of this creates further rouges. Is GeoHot wrong for hacking a system that has one small purpose? Only if the damage spreads out of control. Keep your work to yourself and you won't prosper, but give it to an ill suited hand and you will fall. I myself, have no intent to expand, no need to be known, and little if anything of worth. I am Springheel Jak, I am Il Volpe di Venici, I am annon.

Back