Sony Xperia Z Ultra ups the ante with a massive 6.4-inch display

Shawn Knight

Staff member

If you thought Samsung’s Galaxy Note II packed a large screen, wait until you see Sony’s latest creation. The Xperia Z Ultra will ship with a 6.4-inch, 1080p display that’s coming dangerously close to tablet territory.

Hardware specifications are just as jaw-dropping as it’s packed with a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor clocked at 2.2GHz, 2GB of system RAM, 16GB of internal flash storage alongside a microSD card slot for further expansion and a rear 8-megapixel camera. A 3,000mAh battery will supply the necessary juice and we’re told the phone will run Android 4.2 out of the box.

Noteworthy is the fact that the handset is only 6.5mm thick (or thin, depending on how you slice it). That’s thinner than the iPhone 5 but there is one caveat – it weighs 212 grams which is twice as heavy as Apple’s current flagship. How that combination will feel in the hand(s) remains to be seen.

Furthermore, Sony’s upcoming phablet is waterproof and dust-resistant. All of that sounds extremely impressive but truth be told, not everyone wants to hold an oversized smartphone up to their ear when taking calls (Sony's words, not ours).

To that end, Sony is including a Bluetooth companion handset with each sale – the SBH52. This device can clip onto your clothing, allowing you to take calls or listen to tunes without having to handle the Xperia Z Ultra.

The smartphone will be available during the third quarter globally in white, black and purple. No word yet on pricing or exact regional releases just yet, however.

Permalink to story.

Wow, using a normal pencil... nice. And seems they saw from the same perspective as ours: too big to be comfortably hold during a phone call; their approach: use the handset, put it in your pocket. It is appealing to me, right now I'm using a "standard" cell phone (NOKIA X2) and have no tablet, and it is just the right mixture of both to buy in the upcoming months -I wasn't considering a Samsung even before watching this, nothing against, but they already have enough customers.

It is quite huge but do like the headset one would get with the phone. The headset also has a headphone jack allowing users to listen to music and not need to plug in the headphones in the device. It works with
Sony's new watch too.
Using it with the watch and headset, one wouldn't need to operate the phone for most part. Just need to find a pocket large enough to hold it though =)

You'd need very large reinforced pockets just to tote this thing about. It would probably be easier to make a call from the nearest call box.

The moral of the Video is: You can't frolic in the pool with your girlfriend without the Xperia Z ultra. :p

Galaxy S3 /S4 is the absolute maximum size that my pockets tolerate

Back