Sony's trio of new digital cameras are loaded with cutting-edge technology

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony compact cameras pack big punch camera digital camera mirrorless camera point-and-shoot point-n-shoot standalone camera rx100 iv rx10 ii a7r ii

Sony has announced a trio of new compact digital cameras loaded to the brim with cutting-edge technology. The lineup consists of two point-and-shoot cameras, the RX10 II and the RX100 IV, as well as a new interchangeable lens mirrorless model called the a7R II.

The a7R II features what Sony is calling the world’s first back-illuminated 35mm full-frame CMOS image sensor, the Exmor R, capable of producing 42-megapixel images with a maximum ISO sensitivity of 102,400. It features 399-point phase-detection auto-focus which means it’s very quick to lock focus and Sony’s five-axis image stabilization to help reduce camera shake when using slow shutter speeds.

If the stabilization is anything like the system found in Olympus’ newer mirrorless cameras, you’ll be able to nail shots that would otherwise be impossible without a tripod.

sony compact cameras pack big punch camera digital camera mirrorless camera point-and-shoot point-n-shoot standalone camera rx100 iv rx10 ii a7r ii

The two new point-and-shoot cameras, however, may be even more impressive.

The RX10 includes a fixed 24-200mm (8.3x) lens with a constant f/2.8 aperture while the RX100 IV uses a fixed 24-70mm (2.9x) f/1.8-2.8 lens. Given its zoom range and wide aperture, it’s clear that the RX100 IV would be better suited for portrait work and the like.

Both feature the world’s first stacked 1.0-type CMOS sensor with a DRAM chip which means you’ll get very fast performance. The duo are also able to capture 4K video at 30 frames per second as well as slow-motion clips at up to 960 frames per second.

These nifty features will cost you plenty. The RX100 IV is the cheapest of the bunch at $1,000 while the RX10 II will set you back $1,300. And if you want the a7R II, be prepared to shell out $3,200. The two slim cameras will be available in July followed by the mirrorless model in August.

Permalink to story.

Sony is king, in the mirroless camera market. Nikon & Canon will die a slow death if they don't innovate.

Lol, you really think Nikon and Canon are going to die a slow death? Can I lol once more?

Lol, you really think Nikon and Canon are going to die a slow death? Can I lol once more?
well there is at least some truth in that. Mirrorless designs with "auto settings" function for average users are better and even cheaper. Nikon lags behind there considerably.

I use nikon and I would gladly switch to a Sony high end mirrorless if I had the money
I have an RX100 M3 for casual shooting and its utterly amazing

Back