Sound CARD xp 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading posts for 3 days now and couldn't fix my problem. So here I am - HELP!

Recently I switched to XP 64 Pro(Service Pack 1), and had some trouble installing drivers. So far almost everything works.

The main problem I got is the SOUND CARD. It's an AD1981B(L). I previously (WinXP32) used the REALTEK AC'97 driver, and was OK.

Now with x64 I am unable to install this driver as it requires the file wksproxy.ax located on the XP64 CD, and at the end of the isntallation i get BSOD with a "STOP 0x0000007e" error. So I'm forced to use the NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface, installed with the Chipset.
So I'm having issues like weird sound, and the speakers and headphones(when plugged) working at the same time, or the MUTE light not working(on the side of the laptop), i think indicating trouble with the communication between the chipset and the sound card.

I tried a bunch of realtek drivers (officially and unofficially released, not digitally signed), incl. a 64bit one, after which i got a BSOD on windows startup and had to go with the "LAST KNOW GOOD CONFIGURATION". Installing it in a SAFE mode also failed (freeze at the end on the wksproxy.ax). HP supports sux, so nothing there as well.

So I can't figure out the problem! Bofere xp64 i tried VISTA x64 and the sound worked fine. 512RAM is not quite enough for it however.

CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3400+
Motherboard Name Hewlett-Packard Presario R3200 (DP533AV)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce3 150, AMD Hammer
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (04/28/05)

Audio Adapter Analog Devices AD1981B(L) @ nVIDIA nForce3 150 (CK8) - Audio Codec Interface

Thanks for the reply!

Nodsu said:
Why are you using Realtek drivers when the sound chip is made by Analog Devices?

...cause it worked fine with it. And now no Soundmax would install.

Try the drivers from here: [url said:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3315736&prodSeriesId=1849082&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=2002[/url]
From the HP site, ADI SoundMAX HD Audio Driver (64-bit) is available, but can't be installed - "The HDA Audio bus driver is required and not found". I don't think mine is a HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back