Sound help... no sound after XP SP3 install

Jackarooney

Hey all i have just installed xp sp3 on my toshiba equium laptop and i have no sound.

i have the "!" on 2 items below but cant seem to update them or get them to work any ideas??

I've heard of rare instances of the XP service packs knocking some hardware for a loop. If what your reporting is you've got "exclamation marks" in your device manager, next to the hardware in question, I would recommend possibly going ahead and re-installing those drivers. Just sounds like to me the service pack either altered, messed with or got rid of your sound drivers. So go to Toshiba's web site, look up your model number, select Windows XP as your O.S. and away you go!

I think this course of action should do the trick!

Good luck :)

Hi thanks for your reply, i have just tried that and it comes up saying this operating system is not supported by this software.

i think this laptop should have vista or newer.

there must be a way to get the sound to work with xp tho surely?

i cant live without music lol!!

HELP!!!

If i go to RUN and type in MSINFO32 then go to components then problem devices it has the following ones listed.

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7128144F&REV_01\4&23C6FC68&0&00E1 This device is disabled.
Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_11790001&REV_1002\4&349BE2C2&0&0101 The drivers for this device are not installed.

I'll let you in on something, if that Toshiba web site is telling you that your Operating System is not supported and is not offering up anything to you, try something I used to do when my old Toshiba x205 laptop was working. Fool the web site in thinking your running Windows Vista! Select Windows Vista as your Operating System, but be careful here, only select the proper (bit) option. If your running XP (32bit) then only select Vista (32bit) and the same is true for the (64bit) stuff, 64 goes with 64, you know what I mean. Try that a couple of times and see what happens, for me when doing it this way I had very good luck in installing Vista designed drivers for my Windows XP Professional (64bit) system.

So please try this way and let us know what happened!

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7128144F&REV_01\4&23C6FC68&0&00E1 This device is disabled.
Modem Device on High Definition Audio Bus HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_11790001&REV_1002\4&349BE2C2&0&0101 The drivers for this device are not installed.

[size=3]
> That first device is your wireless adapter. It's currently disabled. You need to enable it first in Device Manager.
> The second device is your MODEM (not your sound card). So i don't think that's the problem either.

What model is your Toshiba?

List Problem devices again
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)
[/size]

i downloaded vista driver and tried to install and came up with error "this operating system is not supported by this software"

I enabled the wireless so that's disappeared all that's there now is -

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35.5 KB · Views: 3
Hmmm... The modem card is detected but i don't see the sound card. (If it has no driver I'd expect it to be listed as "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus". We'll try reinstalling the HD audio controller. That sometimes helps to re-detect audio devices connected to it.

In DevMgr under System Devices, right click Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for HD Audio. Reboot. It will reinstall itself on the reboot. Does a second Problem Device now appear?

i uninstalled and rebooted. now have -

Not Available HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1986&SUBSYS_1179FF40&REV_1005\4&349BE2C2&1&0001 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_11790001&REV_1002\4&349BE2C2&1&0101 The drivers for this device are not installed.

That's good! That first device is your sound card. At least the hardware is now being detected! Next can try to find it a driver.

I probably won't be able to look/post until sometime tomorrow. But on first quick look i think that card uses a Soundmax HD Audio driver. I'll look again tomorrow

Now that the sound card is detected: In DevMgr, for each device with the yellow icon, right click the device select Update Driver and follow the prompts to allow Windows to search for a driver.

p.s. Since both names may appear as "Not Available" in DevMgr, If you want to know which is which you can right click the device select Properties then the Details tab to see the device string. The device string that starts HDAUDIO\FUNC_01 is the Hi Def sound card

comes up to search for drivers then says the hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software. says the same for both.

You Are GENIUS!!!! I have sound!!! i do still have a exclamation mark on device manager tho -

Not Available HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_11790001&REV_1002\4&349BE2C2&1&0101 The drivers for this device are not installed.

main thing is sound is now working so im happy!!

Thank you very much!!!

Congrats! Glad your sound works again. We're all glad to help :)

p.s. Keep a copy of those sound driver files somewhere for safekeeping. I ended up having to hack it together from something I found from Asus that used your same sound card. So I'm glad to hear it worked! You can use DoubleDriver to backup all your current drivers to an external device if they're ever needed again

pps. That remaining device is the modem but not sure of a driver for that

Maybe somone can update that link , I have that same problem , when I install windows xp sp3 , I get no sound , please anybody help me.

Back