Sound issues: back ports not working, front (headphone) port works

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3chan1zr

I have an EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard and recently (after moving the motherboard to a different case) there is no sound coming from the rear ports. When I connect headphones to the front, the sound works. Is it a sound card problem (I'm using the integrated card)? It's not a big deal, I can just pick up one for 20-30 bucks but I just want to know the problem beforehand. Thanks in advance.

the front ports are most-likely canceling out the rear ports, unless you've dealt with a similar setup that worked fine.

Is there a way to resolve the problem? As I said, I didn't add any hardware, I simply moved the motherboard and all the other components from one case to another. Before I moved it, the sound was working fine. All the wires/cables are properly connected.

there are TWO kinds of USB 1.1 & 2.0

frequently, the front ports are 1.1 for devices that don't need the higher speed of 2.0,
eg: audio, mouse ...

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8
logon to an Admin account
find My Computer->right click->Manage
click Device Manager
for EVERY USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller, delete the driver​
now reboot normally and let XP use its autodiscover/configure feature

USB?

there are TWO kinds of USB 1.1 & 2.0

frequently, the front ports are 1.1 for devices that don't need the higher speed of 2.0,
eg: audio, mouse ...

Boot into Safe Mode by tapping F8
logon to an Admin account
find My Computer->right click->Manage
click Device Manager
for EVERY USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller, delete the driver​
now reboot normally and let XP use its autodiscover/configure feature

I'm sorry if this may sound stupid but what does USB 1.1 and 2.0 have to do with my sound not working? The 3.5mm plugs (for the headphones and microphone) in the front of the computer work, but the ones in the back don't.

you're not -- I AM :eek: seeing front vs back I jumped on the USB issue so many have experienced. sorry for the misinformation and distraction.

Check the Audio Manager for your connection settings. Is there a tab for Audio I/O? If so, click on the Analog Back Panel connector settings. In mine it looks like a little hand wrench. Make sure the box for "Disable front panel jack detection" is checked. That should grey out the "Mute rear panel..." option. I have Gigabyte boards and an MSI board with the same Realtek audio and they both work the same. I think your EVGA board has the same onboard audio so hopefully it works the same.

It might seem counterintuitive to configure it this way but it fixes the problem where unplugging the front panel headphones does not reactivate the rear panel output. It also means the rear jacks do not automatically disable when you plug in your front panel headphones but at least both front and rear outputs function. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try.

Check the Audio Manager for your connection settings. Is there a tab for Audio I/O? If so, click on the Analog Back Panel connector settings. In mine it looks like a little hand wrench. Make sure the box for "Disable front panel jack detection" is checked. That should grey out the "Mute rear panel..." option. I have Gigabyte boards and an MSI board with the same Realtek audio and they both work the same. I think your EVGA board has the same onboard audio so hopefully it works the same.

It might seem counterintuitive to configure it this way but it fixes the problem where unplugging the front panel headphones does not reactivate the rear panel output. It also means the rear jacks do not automatically disable when you plug in your front panel headphones but at least both front and rear outputs function. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks, I tried your method. It seems that only the center channel and sub-woofer ports/plugs work. I thought it was my speakers but I plugged the front pair green plug into an MP3 player and they work. Maybe there's something wrong with the plugs themselves.

Although I don't see a particular reason for it, perhaps the driver/audio software got corrupted in the move. It wouldn't hurt to try uninstalling and reinstalling the audio driver.

I have tried that already and the problem still exists... never had this problem before with only some ports malfunctioning...

Sorry if this sounds too basic but in the Audio Manager is the rear panel configured for your correct speaker setup and not something else?

Yes, I have checked to see if everything is configured correctly. Seems as though I should get a new sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back