Sound skips when browsing web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atwooooood

So recently ive noticed that when im browsing the web, whenever a web page is loading, any audio playing on my computer, whether it be on winamp or on myspace or something, the sound will skip and crack when the webpage is loading. I just recently noticed it, and dont remember it doing it before.

I recently reformatted my computer, and it did it both before the format and after (i didnt reformat just cause of this issue).

I really dont know what could be causing it, but it does get quite annoying considering i always have music playing and im constantly browsing the web and for the music to constantly crackle and skip, well, its just annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, im using onboard sound. No external sound card.

System specs:
Asus P5Q Pro
4 GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator
Intel E8600
500 GB Seagate Barracuda
Corsair TX650W
Vista SP1 32 bit
EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+

Web browsing chews up the CPU processing power, especially when scrolling the browser window. You're probably finding that the on-board audio is competing with your browser for CPU time.

If you have your computer setup to play an audio file when you boot-up, I'm sure that will skip and crackle too.

I had this issue with a Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz computer, and installing a PCI sound card was the only fix. I tried a lower end card at first, (about $59) it fixed the problem for this issue but that card didn't have enough amplification to power my headphones at a descent level! I ended up getting a Sound Blaster X-Fi, (which I dislike Creative these days) but is the card that I could easiest recommend for you to fix this issue.

Edit: Just noticed your CPU - the E8600 is a pretty punchy little processor, and you have enough RAM. The only thing that I can think of suggesting, that's still free, is updating your chipset drivers from Asus.

Thank you 9Nails.

What you say makes plenty of sense, but since i have a pretty good CPU, i was skeptical that that was the problem, and also since it just started doing it recently made me question it. Ive been planning on getting a sound card lately, just havent had the money for one.

But i will see if i can update my chipset drivers, although i think I did that when i reformatted. I'll find out.

So upon a simple restart of my PC, the problem seizes to continue. Why do simple restarts fix 50% of problems? I just dont understand.

Hello there,

I used to have this issue, it was literally as someone already said the applications are competing for CPU resources, an old/outdated CPU is an issue, but i must say it only happened to me in Vista, because vista is so heavy on the PC its mental, having to render the transparency, music, browser and the 5 million different processes killed it for me! but i dont get it anymore, its extremely rare for me, i recommend stop using IE because its ridiculously laggy, use Firefox, upgrade ram, maybe overclock your CPU (its free :D) and if you want use a lighter music player, WMP is a resource thirsty app! Winamp or VLC will sort ya out, in my opinion Winamp is the way forward! But yeah, there are also utilities out there that can optimise pc usage (Tune up Utilities 2009), that really are effective! but yeah try any of those and see tell us how it goes!

Btw, My rig was almost as good as yours, but it seemed to go away with the use of firefox...give it a go! Hope this solves some stuff!

I use Windows Media Player 11 and IE8 on my Vista Home Premium x64, SP1 and my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RC dual boot desktop computer. I stopped using AMD processors a few years ago, and I just despise ASUS anything. I build systems all the time, mostly low end Intel systems and a few higher-end computers. I keep my personal desktop as a test bed for newer hi-end components. I just changed my motherboard from a $100 Gigabyte board to a $150 Abit IP35 Pro board. My CPU is an Intel Q6600 and I have a Sansung 245bw LCD monitor. If you spend some time surfing this site, I really wonder just how many AMD/ASUS motherboard issues grace this site

Hello there,

I used to have this issue, it was literally as someone already said the applications are competing for CPU resources, an old/outdated CPU is an issue, but i must say it only happened to me in Vista, because vista is so heavy on the PC its mental, having to render the transparency, music, browser and the 5 million different processes killed it for me! but i dont get it anymore, its extremely rare for me, i recommend stop using IE because its ridiculously laggy, use Firefox, upgrade ram, maybe overclock your CPU (its free :D) and if you want use a lighter music player, WMP is a resource thirsty app! Winamp or VLC will sort ya out, in my opinion Winamp is the way forward! But yeah, there are also utilities out there that can optimise pc usage (Tune up Utilities 2009), that really are effective! but yeah try any of those and see tell us how it goes!

Btw, My rig was almost as good as yours, but it seemed to go away with the use of firefox...give it a go! Hope this solves some stuff!

I do use both Firefox and Winamp haha.
Computer had'nt been restarted in weeks.
Simple fix =]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back