Sprint abandoning T-Mobile takeover bid, replacing longtime CEO Dan Hesse

Shawn Knight

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
Sprint is reportedly abandoning its plans to acquire rival wireless carrier T-Mobile. The decision came in light of what would no doubt be stiff opposition from regulators according to people familiar with the situation as first reported by The Wall...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/57645-sprint-abandoning-t-mobile-takeover-bid-replacing-longtime-ceo-dan-hesse.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

Scshadow

TS Evangelist
Oh thank you sweet Jesus!
Are you kidding? Without being particularly well informed, this was one of the acquisitions/mergers I was kinda hoping for. ATT and Verizon are bullies even in comparison to T-mobile and sprint. Sprint has always had cheaper plans and better policies and T-mobile seems to actually give a crap about offering reasonably priced services as well. The problem with both of them is coverage. 5 bars LTE at my parent's house with Straight Talk branded ATT service is 0 bars of anything with T-mobile. If I had t-mobile I'd never go visit them. And among my social circle, sprint has fairly bad coverage as well.

But I guess I had reservations, maybe better called uncertainties. First off, they still compete in major markets. Its not like it would be efficient combining 2 networks. The larger LTE network that I presume is t-mobile(because sprint put its money into wimax initially right?) probably completely overlaps all of sprint's LTE area. 3g services are incompatible(GSM vs CDMA) so I doubt there would be any noticeable improvement in a short time. The other thing is, even though I don't hate Sprint, from a consumer view I wish it was T-mobile acquiring Sprint and not the other way around.

9Nails

TechSpot Paladin
Are you kidding? Without being particularly well informed, this was one of the acquisitions/mergers I was kinda hoping for. ATT and Verizon are bullies even in comparison to T-mobile and sprint. Sprint has always had cheaper plans and better policies and T-mobile seems to actually give a crap about offering reasonably priced services as well. The problem with both of them is coverage. 5 bars LTE at my parent's house with Straight Talk branded ATT service is 0 bars of anything with T-mobile. If I had t-mobile I'd never go visit them. And among my social circle, sprint has fairly bad coverage as well.

But I guess I had reservations, maybe better called uncertainties. First off, they still compete in major markets. Its not like it would be efficient combining 2 networks. The larger LTE network that I presume is t-mobile(because sprint put its money into wimax initially right?) probably completely overlaps all of sprint's LTE area. 3g services are incompatible(GSM vs CDMA) so I doubt there would be any noticeable improvement in a short time. The other thing is, even though I don't hate Sprint, from a consumer view I wish it was T-mobile acquiring Sprint and not the other way around.
My sentiments as well.

A strong 3rd place beats out two lower ranking also ran's in the business. If it's about the consumer's best interest, this merger should have gone through. The Government is still a big bunch of expensive suits, not much else. It would have been good to see T-Mobile directed by an American company.

Frank Barnett

TS Rookie

Sprint was a American company and lost like 7 billon of softbanks money who now owns them . I always wondered how people who lost at least 7 billion has people lined up to loan them more money to money somebody else

My sentiments as well.

A strong 3rd place beats out two lower ranking also ran's in the business. If it's about the consumer's best interest, this merger should have gone through. The Government is still a big bunch of expensive suits, not much else. It would have been good to see T-Mobile directed by an American company.

Scshadow

TS Evangelist
Hate Sprint. Another thank God here.
Care to elaborate? I mean, if you hate them enough to make a post about how you hate them, then why not go the extra step and actually make an argument as to why other people should hate Sprint too? A baseless conjecture is truly a waste of space.

rub900

TS Addict
Care to elaborate? I mean, if you hate them enough to make a post about how you hate them, then why not go the extra step and actually make an argument as to why other people should hate Sprint too? A baseless conjecture is truly a waste of space.
Sprint does not allow using an unlocked phone. I feel they will buy T-Mobile and stop the practice of allowing unlocked phones. I had Sprint for years. I moved to a state that is under served by Sprint cell towers. I tried my best to resolve the issue. I am on call for a tech company and needed a phone. I tried to get out my contract. I explained I could not receive any phone calls while at home. No one at Sprint cared. My company provided a phone while I finished my year contract. I bought a home phone. Using it for personal calls while at home. I put the cell phone in a drawer and waited until I could tell them to go away. I have T-Mobile ever since and never looked back. My bill is a third of the price. I hate Sprint.