SSD Hard Drive installed

Astronerd

Is this the right Forum?
I have an older Compaq nc600 with a failing Fujitsu 40G HD that I decided to replace with a SSD PATA/IDE drive (Transcend TS64GSD330 64 GB IDE).
Hardware:
Agere Systems AC'97 Modem
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Intel(R) 82801 Ultra ATA Storage Controler - 24CA
HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N DVD Drive
ATI MOBILITY RADEON9600 Series Display Adapter
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200 BG Network Connection
O2Micro OZ711M3 MemoryCardBus Controller
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.70GHz
Started machine with OS recovery disk to load windows XP 2. Loaded SP3 and all drivers. Computer seemed OK at first. Then every time it is started up, Windows loads up to
the background and stalls. It takes another 4 minutes or so to get the task bar and systray. Also, after a minute or so, a window opens to tell me that a driver for some hardware has successfully loaded... but the list of the hardware is blank. Then the CPU maxes out, the fan starts, and the machine slows way down. When I look at processes in Task Manager, there is a svchost that is using 99% of the CPU cycles. When I kill this svchost process, the machine runs much more in line with what I expected.
What do I do to fix it? I need for this computer to run with the SSD drive.

The OS recovery disk was run in the CD drive. The BIOS does not display either the SSD or (when it is swapped back in) the Fujitsu drive. The BIOS does not display the BIOS version with either HD.

No reply for a week. I am going to scratch and reload the hard drive and drivers off-line and only go online to get McAfee loaded. If svchost pops up to 99% after that, I'll take this thread to the virus & malware forum.

Back