Started Happening Recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phper

I installed Windows XP SP2 Professional and decided to go back to Vista Ultimate. I did and unlike any other time I started getting Physical Dump Errors (BSOD) and then needing a restart, the weird thing is when I would play a game or use the PC it would not do this, just in idle. I even went as far as to install Windows Vista Home Premium, to no avail it still did it, so I used this other guide to change my 'maximum' and 'recommended' ram usage through Vista's tools. It helped a lot but I still get them once in awhile. I also noticed that my RAM will sometimes go upto 80% usage making my PC almost unusable until a reboot, could my RAM be messed up? or is it just Vista?

Windows Vista Home Premium
2GB DDR2-667
Visiontek HD3850 256MB PCI-e 16x
MSI K9VGM-V Motherboard
Antec SU380 Power Supply
AMD X2 AM2 3800+ CPU

On a side note: my CPU on average is Core1 -9% usage, Core2 -43% usage, RAM - 30% usage, this is with 5 programs running.

hmm..

also my minidump files, only 2 of them there say:

mini060708-01.dmp
mini061308-01.dmp

if you tell me how to upload on this site I will upload them.

I would memtest my ram but cannot figure out how to burn the ISO, I did it the way I'd normally do and it didn't work, I have all latest drivers, but I don't not use Windows Update for Vista as some are unstable...

You must burn an ISO file as a "disc image". This is what Nero calls the operation. It's a different operation from burning a standard data disc. I, guessing that other media creation software calls it a similar or identical name.

do u know, u can use windows update and select the updates u want. if u know what u are doing this is good.

OK I will do manual update and find a CD to make a memtest, so memtest is a direct memory test? nothing else will be running, so if it messes up its deffinately my memory?

"memtest" is a DOS boot disc. Put it in the drive, power down your vomputer, then restart. The machine will run memtest, it will never boot into Windows. Run the test for 7 passes, then reverse the procedure. (remove the disc, power down, restart).

I realize that, I'm asking if it's just running a solo memory program so that ONLY memory is running, if my PC freezes I want to know IT'S my memory.

phper said:
I realize that, I'm asking if it's just running a solo memory program so that ONLY memory is running, if my PC freezes I want to know IT'S my memory.
Memtest will be the only program running since the OS won't boot. Therefore no other programs can possibly run. The board will be running, the CPU will be running and the BIOS will be running, and DOS will be the operating system.
Memtest will tell you if you have memory errors, Is that all that's wrong, who knows, but it's where you need to start.

Be aware that if the real trouble is in your power supply or motherboard, then memtest may still fail. It is sightly easier to tell if it really is memory if you have more than one memory strip. In which case you can just remove all but one at a time whilst testing.

As I understand you, you only get the problem when your PC is not stressed. This could suggest it is some software that utilises 'spare' CPU cycles - as is typically done with certain anti-virus, anti-spyware, disk defragmenters and the like. Since you say it happens in both XP and Vista this is unlikely, unless you always like to install the same software of the types described above....in which case, just disable it on a test basis.

You also mention your Ram suddenly and capriciously going to 80%. That is called memory leakage and is a badly-written program. Again seek the usual suspects as above, but it could be a driver for your hardware. Remedy for this is check for the latest driver for everything on your PC from the ground up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back