Startup processes - cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmw

I need some help to clean up my background processes.

I have cleaned up msconfig as best as I can - theres nothing more I can move from thier I'm sure - and have often tried to stop Windows 'services' running automatically (from 'services.msc'), but I don't know which ones I need and which to get rid of without it causing problems, as different sites give different explanations so it is confusing.

Could someone take a look at this and tell me which processes to get rid of, and how - depending on what programs/services they stem from etc. I normally keep my computer running efficiently, and although it is running alright, it does lag sometimes despite 46/123Gb free space on the main partition.

And yes I do like to run SmartDefrag, and Sidebar, and the Windows Aero Theme, but still, 56 processes seems a bit much!

I have attached an extended screenshot of task manager with all processes shown.

Kind regards,

tmw.

Attachments

• Processes.gif
    Processes.gif
    122.2 KB · Views: 11
Are you just talking about things that run in start up or all together? 56 doesn't seem like a lot to me but if you are looking to clean up and continue to monitor them there is a free piece of software called Win Patrol from downloads.com that will tell you what you are running both currently and in start up (and more). It let's you click on more info and tells you what that process does.

Attachments

• Wp.jpg
    Wp.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 6
Startup isn't really an issue because like I say, I have looked at MSconfig, it's more to try and lessen the number of background processes/services that run.

@tmw
just fyi: msconfig from MS is intended for diagnostic testing. That means it's great for tweaking your startups and services but shouldn't be used to control startups and services over the long term (tho i don't know if that's what you;re using or something else)

@Cristy_m
I haven't used WinPatrol for awhile but i do recall how handy it can be! And a good suggestion to check out!

@tmw
Not sure what resources you used for tweaking so i'll mention looking at pacman's portal and Black Viper

Also, these are more great, handy tools to view and manage your startups and services. Also i ask you run them for me to create reports you can attach and i can review

Download Autoruns. Click autoruns.exe to run it
> Wait till status in lower left corner says Ready
> Click File->Save, save as a text (.txt) file and attach to your next post

Download Serviwin (very handy for viewing and managing both Windows Services and Drivers)

• > To open a blank text file click Start->Programs-Accessories-Notepad
    > Run serviwin. Click View->Services
    > Select any service entry then Click Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it Ctrl-V to paste into Notepad
    > Then save the text file and attach to your next post (the text may look jumbled but that's OK)

Yes I've had a look at Black Viper but I don't always find it easy to understand the descriptions on there, but I have stopped some services using that yes.

Attached are the reports from both programs listed above.

Thanks for that.

Attachments

• AutoRuns Report.txt
    133 KB · Views: 4
  • ServiWin Report.txt
    62.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi tmw

Sorry, been busy and just now catching and about to look at the reports but realized something i need to first double check.... are you Vista or Windows 7? and are you Home, Business, Ultimate, etc.?

/* edit */
OK. I can now see from your Services that you're Vista but which version of Vista are you?

I skimmed through the reports and here’s what jumps out at me. Note: I’m listing items you can probably disable but please look at and research each item yourself to
> Know what it is
> Determine if, in fact, you do or don’t want to prevent it from running

Startups
> HotKeysCmds (hkcmd.exe) from Intel: check if you use or care about or even know about these hot keys. If not, disable it
> Persistence (igfxpers.exe) from Intel: more optional stuff from Intel
> TkBellExe (realsched.exe) from RealNetworks: For automated checks for RealNetworks program updates. Better to disable it and manually check for updates yourself once every few months
> SynTPStart (syntpstart.exe) from Synaptics: this probably provides “extra” functions you may not use or care about for the touchpad. Check it out

Services
> Wsearch (Windows Search): This service indexes everything it finds on disk so your Windows file searches are quicker. However, IMHO, I like to turn indexing off myself
Considering how infrequent I actually use the search function, I’d rather the once-in-awhile search take a bit longer to run vs. having the indexing always running

Thanks for that I appreciate you taking the time to look at it all. I will see what these things do.

I know about the Intel one but to be honest I was always afraid to disable it in case it completely messed up my systems Display/GX. I will see about the others in the coming days.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back