Static when moving usb mouse

hopgop1

Basically when I move my mouse (just a generic "optical mouse") I get a static sound though my headphones and speakers and people can hear it when it skype with them, unplugging mouse fixes it and it only occurs when I move the mouse. What could be the problem? Side note: This is my Dad's PC, trying to fix it for him with your help of course.

Are you plugging into a front audio port or through the back?
It's almost certainly EMI interference. If it's a front audio port, the solution may be to shield the cable from the audio port to the motherboard using something like aluminum foil. If it's from the motherboard output itself, it may simply be that your motherboard doesn't have good shielding and you might want to look into an external sound card.

Are you plugging into a front audio port or through the back?
It's almost certainly EMI interference. If it's a front audio port, the solution may be to shield the cable from the audio port to the motherboard using something like aluminum foil. If it's from the motherboard output itself, it may simply be that your motherboard doesn't have good shielding and you might want to look into an external sound card.

Static doesn't occur when using the motherboards rear audio ports, how do I got about shielding the front panel cables?

Okay that means it's probably just a shielding problem.
Between your motherboard and your case's front audio ports, there should be a wire, that's the wire that needs to be shielded.
I have no experience in the matter myself but I have seen people wrap it in a layer of aluminum foil and said that it helped.
Personally, I use a monoprice 3.5mm extension cable to route my rear audio ports to circumvent the issue. I don't notice any difference in the sound; I am using a pair of VC02s and pretty average ears.

Didn't work, for the moment I will keep the mouse plugged in at the motherboard USB ports, even though it's not the permanent solution I was looking for. Also just to clarify the sound is like a quiet static when the mouse is still but is much louder when in use. Thanks for the suggestion though hellokitty.

Errr... it's still almost certainly something to do with EMI interference. BTW I forgot to mention but I think the aluminum foil "shield" must be grounded.
Also I've read on some cases like the antec 300 the front audio panel and USBs are not isolated which can cause problems with EMI interference, with the solution being to cut them apart and isolate them.

Perhaps you need to do some research specifically for you case.

Back