Steam Deck's expected order availability is starting to get a bit vague

jsilva

In brief: As the volume of Steam Deck pre-orders increase, Valve has started to give off some signs of uncertainty regarding the availability of its portable console. Initially, Valve was giving a three-month waiting period after reserving the console, but since then, the order availability has changed to a rather vague "After Q2 2022."

Anyone that's visited the Steam Deck recently will notice that the expected availability for the 64GB model has changed from "Q2 2022" to a less certain "After Q2 2022" date. This might be simply pointing to a Q3 2022 availability, but it could also mean anything beyond that. On the other hand, the 512GB model, which was previously expected to ship during Q3, is now scheduled for Q2 2022.

It's worth noting the expected order availability for the different models does change based on geography. In the UK, both the 64GB and 256GB models are expected to ship after Q2 2022, but in Europe it's the 256GB and 512GB models that are scheduled to reach customers after Q2 2022.

Considering how far off we are from Q3 2022 and beyond, it looks like Valve is just being cautious about the availability of the upcoming PC-based portable gaming machine.

Whether it's the ongoing chip shortage, the reserved chip stock to the console is on its last legs, or just the uncertainty of time, you better be prepared to wait for the Steam Deck if you're planning to reserve it.

There's also the issue with scalpers pre-ordering Steam Decks to resell it. eBay has removed these listings, but scalpers can always use other channels. In any case, we recommend you not to buy from scalpers.

As for anticipating the expected order availability of the 512GB model in the US, it could come to Valve now having enough data to check which models it should prioritize, balancing production accordingly.

Permalink to story.

I hope I’m proven wrong, but I just don’t see the allure of a device such as this.

What market gap is this filling? One the PC/console market isn’t already dominating?

The portable hand held steam library market. A lot of people want to play their steam games without sitting at a desk after a days mouse and keyboard action in their day job. Or just want to be in the front room with family but not taking over the TV. You can’t beat PC/Steam prices and many people have hundreds of games in their libraries already that this thing will happily run (coming from me, a hard core steam summer sale veteran who had to just STOP when he hit 500 games give or take 7 years ago)

Sounds like pre-orders were higher than expected.
Could it be that the dates shown are for customers pre-ordering now rather than this being the release date ? If it‘s ‚first come, first serve‘ it would make sense.

I think there is little need to rush and get the Steam Deck. It is a good device, but I am sure some people are just curious on how this performs and may sell it at some point. While it can run "all" the games on Steam (says Steam), I am skeptical that some of the potential buyers will like it because,
1. FPS may be too low in most modern games, I.e. 30 FPS,
2. Graphic settings may be too low

I'm calling it now, this will never reach the market. They'll lose too much money at those prices and the hardware is already vastly inferior even with their intended res and performance targets.

I think there is little need to rush and get the Steam Deck. It is a good device, but I am sure some people are just curious on how this performs and may sell it at some point. While it can run "all" the games on Steam (says Steam), I am skeptical that some of the potential buyers will like it because,
1. FPS may be too low in most modern games, I.e. 30 FPS,
2. Graphic settings may be too low
I don't think you'll need to use the low settings (medium should be fine), but 30FPS @ 800p is a target for many of the big titles.

If I can get 2x or better resell price on used market I'll sell else I'll keep it, win-win either way.

I can only really see this being useful in social settings were a laptop would be considered unsociable, like when at a boring family function or church.

While true, it is vague I don't think they have really any control, manufacturing of chips and logistical shipping routes are a major problem and still will be all the way through 2022.
If they get enough units they will ship them but I think there is more demand than they expected leading to them not really knowing when and how many they will get in at any given shipment. COVID is still an issue and who knows for how long.

It's Zen 2 at low resolution. Don't expect miracles.
You have to have reasonable expectations for a product like this.
Alot of these will be made into retro gaming portables, the advantage being it can render PS3 and XBOX 360 games with relative ease.

I'm calling it now, this will never reach the market. They'll lose too much money at those prices and the hardware is already vastly inferior even with their intended res and performance targets.
I would be extremely surprised if they're not going to be turning a profit provided they can sell enough of them - which doesn't seem to be a problem in the slightest. Apart from the custom APU (which we can't know the price of, but ought to be significantly cheaper per unit than the PS5 or Xbox Series ones are, assuming similar volume), the hardware isn't really that expensive.

Back