Stop and Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Gunn

Hey guys,

This has been happening to me for a while and I've been wanting to know what the hell is going on and how I can fix it.
My computer occasionally restarts randomly or even just stops.
Do you know what could cause this?

It gets really annoying sometimes.

Could be quite a few things. Likely either your PSU is unstable, or a component (such as your CPU), is overheating. Monitor your system's temperatures and if they're abnormally high during the freeze/shut down then you've found your problem.

Eh, you can't really check your PSU's temperature from within Window's as far as I'm aware. I wasn't suggesting that your PSU was overheating anyhow, just unstable.

There are quite a few applications you can use to check your CPU's temperature.

Your BIOS
Speedfan
Motherboard Monitor
HMonitor
SensorView
CPUCool
I think some of the BurnInTest applications monitor temperatures and Everest might as well.

The list could go on forever. Go use a search engine and use what you care to.

Your temperatures appear to be fine although I'm sure that reading is probably one that was taken during very low load.

What are you usually doing during the time that your PC freezes/reboots?

the usual..I have my media player running, my Browser...a couple of windows...with files...Skype, MSN...the usual...nothing out of the ordinary. And before I was missing a couple of .dlls and I thought that was the case. But it appears that it isn't. Before it was more often. But now it only happens once every week or so...sometimes once every three days. Is there a software out there that might be able to gather disgnostics to see what might be the problem?

Look in the directory C:\Windows\Minidump for a .dmp file and post the latest one (or few). If that directory doesn't exists, search your HDD for a .dmp file.

Your computer is restarting because by default when windows encounters a system error it will log the error and automatically restart, if you turn off automatic restart you will get a BSOD (blue screen of death) which will tell you a generic description of your error. You should have quite a few minidumps if you have had this problem for a while, post your minidumps and we should be able to tell you what is causing the problem.

I don't know free AVs too well. I've been using NOD32 for years, and wouldn't go back. People seem to praise Avast as much as they do AVG though.

There aren't two seperate editions from what I can see. The "Business" option allows you to buy a bundle package of their software. Unless you want to buy 5, 10, or 15 copies, it'd be wise to go with "Home & Home Office".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back