STOP error 100000d1 and Machine Check error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikshane

Hello
I am new to this forum so I apologize in advance if I break any rules.

I have recently started to receive these blue screen errors. At first the errors were 100000d1 errors. I was told that this was likely a driver issue problem or maybe even bad ram. However, today while I was searching for solutions I started to receive this Machine Check Exception error.

The code is usually this:
0X0000009C (0X00000004,0X8054E5F0,0XB2000000,0X00070F0F).
I was told that this is definitely due to a hardware issue. Either Ram or CPU.

I have been able to trigger this error if I start a game (Civilization 4) and abruptly end it. Otherwise, it just occurs intermittently. As such the computer may work for a couple of hours before the error occurs, usually its when the CPU voltage starts to peak, but not always.

Currently I have taken all the sticks of RAM out of my PC, except 1. I have tried to trigger the error by playing Civilization IV and nothing has happened.

I'm not sure how to post mini-dump files. If someone can tell me how to post them I will. (Strangely enough there are only two mini-dump files in the mini dump folder, even though this error has occurred several times today.)

If anyone can offer me some advice I will greatly appreciate it. Thank You!

Your 2 minidumps did not cite the error 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

This is not to say it didn't occur. This is a very difficult error to deal with because it caqn be due to any piece of hardware in your system and I have yet to see a minidump give a definitive cause.

The two dumps cited the same 0xD1 error and these are usually caused by faulty drivers. In your case both cited the cause of your crashes as the Nvidia driver nv4_mini.sys.

A. Make sure your video card is set properly.

B. Do the following...

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* Let us know if the above brings stability.

Hello,
First off, thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your help!

As I had stated in my previous post, I had taken out all but one stick of RAM. So far I have not received any blue screen error, even when I played Civilization. (Although my computer is very slow, I only have 1 512 MB stick in there right now - my computer is an AMD X2 by the way) Does this mean that one of the RAM sticks was bad?

Also, I am planning on reinstalling windows on this computer. The video card that is in there is built in, so I would assume that it is seated correctly. If I decide to reinstall should I still run driver cleaner pro?

One more thing, I had recently updated the Nvidia card. I had originally suspected that this problem was due to the update, but even after I roll backed the driver (I did this by doing a system restore) I still had received the blue screen error. Which Nvidia driver should I use for the video card? It is a Gefore 6100.

Hello again,

I just inserted two 1 gig sticks into my computer (this is different RAM from a different computer) and sure enough when I tried to play civilization and then end the program I got a blue screen error.

This time it was a d1 error. Here is exactly what it said:
Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
NV4_mini.sys Address B8E775AB base at B8B55000 date stamp 49363d11

I believe you are right that this is a video card problem. I have two concerns though.
1. Why did I get the Machine Error code. Could my RAM be bad?
2. If the video card is the problem, is this a simple driver issue or does it have to be replaced?

As I explained earlier I am planning on reinstalling windows. Sorry for all the questions, I just confused as to why this error is happening all of a sudden. Thanks!

Why errors suddenly happen, or more correctly why PCs suddenly have problems, the answers are extremely various and often we can never really tell why.

We need some clarification before proceeding: When you say your video card is built it are you certain it is integrated and not able to be removed?

Yes, the Video Card is integrated and cannot be removed. There is an additional pci express slot, so technically I could buy a new video card. However, I would ideally like to keep using the integrated one. (My PC is a gateway 5082)

Here was the last minidump, just in case you want to see it. I am still curious though as to why I received the last Machine Check error. As mentioned in my previous post, after I had received the machine check error I had removed all the ram and left only 1 512 MB stick in the PC. I could no longer trigger the blue screen. Then I had put two new 1 Gig sticks and I started to receive D1 errors again. I have so far not received any machine check errors.

Right now I am running error free, I only was able to initiate the last blue screen after playing Civilization. However, I am certain that this error will likely pop up again randomly. Should I be worried about RAM issues? Also can the video card still be saved?

Thank you again for all your help!!

This 0xD1 error cites the same Nvidia driver as before.

The 0x9C is due to hardware malfunction. If your integrated graphics card is faulty then that could be the issue but at this time we really don't know. How old is your system?

If this is a pre-built system go to your manufacturer's website, find your exact model, and then apply all the updates they have for your system especially video drivers.

If it was built by you or someone else then go to your montherboard's website, find your exact mobo model, and update the latest drivers from there. By the way, what is the make of your motherboard?

*** Let's see if updating the drivers helps.

It is a gateway 5082. As far as I can tell, the drivers have not changed. Based on the driver information, the computer was made around 2006. I am planning on reinstalling windows, should I just reinstall the same drivers?

For clarification are you saying Gateway has done no updating of drivers for your system since 2006?

So what I plan on doing, before I reinstall windows, is uninstalling the internal video driver and then installing the latest geforce driver. Is there anything else I should watch out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back