Strange black screen problem with refurbished MSI 1080 8GB OC

Hi,

I got this MSI 1080 card to replace the GeForce 1070 that came with my Aurora R7. Everything went smoothly-from removing the 1070, installing the 1080, booting into Win10x64 to load new drivers and running 3D Mark.

I then decided to reboot the R7. Much to my dismay the highlight lights and the power light came on the R7, but nothing on my monitor, not even the Alienware BIOS logo. The monitor said there was no signal from the graphics card. I tried reseating the 1080 3 times, used a different HDMI Cable, nothing just a black screen. I can’t even get past POST.

After a few hours of this, I took out the 1080 and put back the 1070 and all was fine. For the likes of me I don’t know how the 1080 (HDMI) worked perfectly the first time, then (it looks like died) on the next boot. As I said previously, it seemed that there was no signal coming from the 1080.

I have an Alienware Aurora R7 with an i7-8700, 16gb dvd drive, GeForce 1070 and a 460 W power supply; all standard Dell build products.

Anyone have some ideas? I’m very depressed now since I got the MSI for $399 from an Amazon store. It was sold as refurbished. but I never had problems before with refurbished products. It’s a Amazon purchase and I know I can return it, but it hurts nonetheless.

Mike

Ps-the first time I got into Windows with the 1080 I upgraded the Nvidia drivers to 411xx. I don’t know if that has anything to do with the black screen. Also Windows Defender came up with a green screen only; no text. Very Strange but an unknown relation to the 1080 problem.

I would immediately explore RMA with vendor. Usually, they have tests before issuing RMA which may highlight the real problem.

Thank you very much for your thoughtful reply. Right now the vendor is refunding my $399 without questions. I think Amazon had something to do with this return :)

I’m afraid now to buy another MSI 1080 due to the bad taste it left in my mouth. I think I’ll go with another brand like PNY. Although MSI does sell many types of 180 cards so maybe I’m just unduly doubting MSI cards.

I don’t mean to disparage MSI, but if it’s really refurbished they did a lousy job. That’s why I’m leery of buying from them again (although the Mini looks interesting).

Back