Strange BSOD on Windows 7 64 bit (ntoskrnl)

Jinandtonic

OK, so recently my computer started not being able to start up, it would get into the windows 7 logo screen and then crash. To solve this problem, I copmletely restored the system to factory settings, then installed all the stuff I had before, like drivers, updates, games eetc. However, I just got a blue screen error, which I also used to get infrequently before I completely reinstalled the OS, Office, etc. Here it is:

Dump File: 110110-42931-01.dmp

Crash Time: 1/11/2010 9:30:21 PM

Bug Check String: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Bug Check Code: 0x1000007e

Parameter 1: ffffffff`c0000005

Parameter 2: fffff800`02a9b14b

Parameter 3: fffff880`0357f948

Parameter 4: fffff880`0357f1b0

Caused by Driver: ntoskrnl.exe

Caused by Address: ntoskrnl.exe+7d14b

File Description: NT Kernel & System

Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

Company: Microsoft Corporation

File Version: 6.1.7600.16617 (win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Processor: x64

Full Path: C:\Windows\Minidump\110110-42931-01.dmp

Processors Count: 8

Major Version: 15

Minor Version: 7600

Can someone please help? I'm not sure what it causing this and I'm desperate now as I have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Welcome!

Could you please upload some info for us? At the very least, we need the memory dumps.
JK said:
Go to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy all of the dmp files to the desktop. Select all>right-click on one>Send to>New Compressed folder. Then attach the zip file to your next post by use of the paperclip icon in the advanced editor.

I, and several others, prefer to work with a full BSOD report though. If you wouldn't mind, could you follow these directions instead?

http://www.jcgriff2.com/BSODpostinstructions.html

That collects event logs, Windows Error Reporting, driver listings, system info, and other info, as well as the minidumps. So if you choose to use this, don't bother uploading dumps.

Zip up the output folder the jcgriff2 scripts create, and upload it to Rapidshare or a similar site.

Very sorry, but I'm not very computer-friendly and I'm afraid that I'll screw up my computer if I make a mistake in following the instructions in the link. I've attached my minidump file, and if you guys need any more information I'll gladly follow the instrcutions.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    24 KB · Views: 2
No worries at all, that file won't change anything. It just gathers info, that's all. If you run it from the wrong place, all that will happen is that it will error out.

I would start out by removing Norton, and updating your Realtek NIC drivers. Norton is a well-known cause of BSODs, so it should be removed with this tool: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Install these updating NIC drivers: http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Your nVidia drivers are a few versions too old, so install a new version from here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If the BSODs persist, enable driver verifier: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html

Wait for a few BSODs, and then follow the jcgriff2 BSOD Posting Instructions.

http://www.jcgriff2.com/BSODpostinstructions.html

Summary of the Dumps:
Code:
Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621
Debug session time: Mon Nov  1 06:28:43.871 2010 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:05:07.011
BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff80002a9b14b, fffff8800357f948, fffff8800357f1b0}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiInsertTimerTable+13b )
PROCESS_NAME:  System
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x7E
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨[/font]

I think I've already removed norton, I've only got Symantec Endpoint Protection installed (or is that part of norton too?) If so, could you suggest an alternative antivirus program? Also, which of the NIC drivers do I choose (there are two options that include Windows 7)? Sorry if I'm being a pain in the backside.

UPDATE: For the last day and last few startups, there have been no blue screens. I'm starting to think it was a one-off thing, but if you guys don't mind, could you please keep working on the problem?

Also, just then while I was in microsoft outlook the computer froze unexpectedly. No BSOD, just that I couldn't do anything and nothing on the screen was moving, so I had to manually reboot. So far, it has not frozen again, but I'm growing a little concerned as I don't know what is causing this either. Any ideas to make sure it doesn't happen again?

NIC = Network Interface Card. They are the hardware that connects to the internet, essentially.

To check the dates of the drivers, go to Start > "devmgmt,msc" > Network cards > right click on the Realtek one > Properties > Driver tab.

It's been a few days and I still haven't BSODed yet, so hopefully I somehow inadverdently fixed it. However, the freezing just happened again, with no error message. The computer does not freeze regularly, in fact, only twice in numerous startups so far. Do you know what could be causing it?

No, it won't be, You'll need to either open up the side of the case, and read the label on the PSU, or look up the specs of your machine online.

Over the last few days, I've had a number of other different BSODs, I've attached the minidump files.

Also, a new problem recently emerged. When I started my computer, it got to the windows 7 flashing logo screen, then froze and restarted itself, freezing at the firstt startup screen. I had to manually turn the computer off and back on again. I ran Startup Repair and my System was restored, but I don't think I've seen the last of the problem, as this problem's repeated occurrence was what forced me to reformat my hard rive in the first place. Could you please help me out? I'm started to get frustrated my my computer's many problems.

Attachments

• Minidumps.zip
    129.5 KB · Views: 1
Remove Symantec with this tool: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Install these Realtec NIC drivers: http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

...[FONT=Lucida Console]Summary of the dumps[/FONT]
Code:
[font=lucida console]
Debug session time: Fri Nov  5 19:48:16.294 2010 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:04:47.323
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiKernelCalloutExceptionHandler+e )
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x1E_0
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x1E_0_nt!KiKernelCalloutExceptionHandler+e
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Debug session time: Fri Nov  5 19:41:44.615 2010 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:04:48.770
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x3B
PROCESS_NAME:  csrss.exe
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_nt!KiInsertTimerTable+13b
¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
Debug session time: Fri Nov  5 04:05:09.849 2010 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:04:31.004
BUGCHECK_STR:  0x7E
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x7E_nt!KiInsertTimerTable+13b

[/font]

OK, I reformatted the hard drive (restored factory settings) and did everything you said, and no BSODs so far, but the random freezing is occurring. Is there a fix for this? Also, when I try to download the NIC drivers it doesn't give me an exe file, only a zip folder with all these weird file types which I can't use to install the drivers.

I'm not sure, but I think the PSU is 460 W and the manufacturer name is Bordeaux (or that could be the model, I'm not sure).

I can't find any info on that PSU, which likely means the name isn't quite right.

What is the model of your computer, and its age?

OK, I think by now it's safe to say that the blue screens have stopped after I restored factory settings. The freezing seemed to be gone as well, but it froze again just then. I went into Hardware Diagnostic Tests and found out that previous freezing had an unknown cause, one was caused by Internet Explorer 8 and the other caused by Steam. I can't copy-paste the information for some reason. Does this mean I have to uninstall them? Because that would really suck, as I use Internet Explorer for my assignments and Steam for my games.

Internet Explorer will never cause a freeze, unless some third-party program is conflicting (e.g. toolbars, malware, addons). If you try to uninstall it, you'll find it cannot be done.

Check your network adapter drivers, see if they can be updated.

I do encourage you to have a quick chat with HP support; I suspect the PSU may be the problem.

Back