Strange BSOD relating to RAM or corrupt windows files

Status
Not open for further replies.

3lephant

Okay, well this weekend my computer contracted a virus (Fraud XP.Antivirus) relating to downloading a faulty copy of Avast! Antivirus. Since then I have fought the virus with Spybot S&D, AVG, and Malewarebytes. I have removed the virus and am now dealing with a more serious problem, I am getting the crash IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when trying to run system intensive programs like video games. Also, my Windows Disk Check and Windows Defragmenter are not working. So far I have tried multiple anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc. I have also tried booting in safe mode, booting with all services running, and other basic diagnostics. I am running out of ideas however. I have also reseated the RAM and Video Card, cleaned out the inside of the computer, checked for overheating, and reset pagefile. I can not run memory test because when I try to boot from disk windows notifys me I can not.

I am running-
Dimension 8600 Pentium IV 3.4 GHZ
2 Gig RAM
Radeon X1300 256Mb
Integrated Soundmax Sound
Phoenix ROM Bios

Thanks so much for your help. Attached is the only minidump in the minidump file.

Well that minidump shows an error with the Windows file ntoskrnl.exe (Normally I need 4 or 5 minidumps to narrow down the cause) Most likely Windows file system is corrupt causing the BSOD's. You can try to run sfc.exe /scannow (space between forward slash and scannow) and see if the system file checker finds anything. If it does it will ask for the Windows install CD. Another option is to do a repair install of Windows but to tell you the truth the best way to ensure that the virus is gone and fix all the damage it caused is to reformat (after saving your files, pictures etc.) and reinstall Windows.

So there is no evidence pointing towards faulty RAM? That would be excellent, thank you so much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back