Strange crashing problem with XP, Vista works fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi all,

I've been using Vista for some time now, I have tweaked it a lot (disable Aero, unneeded services, msconfig etc...) but it just works considerably slower than XP.

Anyways, this was my reason to use Vista.....

Running XP, I would be able to start playing my CoD4 or FEAR, but it would randomly freeze (sometimes games lasted like 2 hours, sometimes less than 2 mins), sound would get messed up, and it ended up restarting itself (no BSOD at all).

I thought my overclock was the culprit, so I returned everything back to stock frequencies, checked the temperatures, PSU, downloaded latest drivers, game updates...etc.. Event viewer kept saying "Invalid CRT type" which seems to be part of the ATI drivers..... I didn't find a solution to it, so I decided to tryout Vista, which does not crash at all (sounds weird lol).

But I really want to go back to XP, because its much faster and responsive, so does anyone have a hint of what could be wrong with XP? I tried everything I could think of, but there might be something hidden somewhere lol...

Any suggestion is welcome,

Hey thanks for the link, unfortunately I have a PCI-E GPU, so it might not work =(

I did more googling too, and it really seems like its an issue with the ATI drivers....hmm I guess its time to buy an nvidia card then xD

Well a quick update.. The problem is solved, it seems ATI finally fixed their XP drivers. I no longer get CRT type errors in the Event Log.

Or maybe installing DX10 helped too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back