Strange pc lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackpot316

I was on youtube watching a video and my computer locks up+ sound is locked up humming like crazy

I hit the reset button and when my comp try's to reboot it goes right to my bios settings. I try to reboot again then it goes just past my bios to a dos screen with this "Can not read disc error" So this goes on 7 or so more times on reboots, tried to go to the systems restore never could get to that went back to bios and found that some how my nvidia raid was disabled I enabled it and Bam. I am back to normal

.My question here is what caused this?

You said you were "back to normal"... This tells me that the problem is fixed. I just told you to use the power switch and never use the reset switch to turn off your system, after a lock up. You will be doing yourself a favor

jackpot316 said:
I try to reboot again then it goes just past my bios to a dos screen with this "Can not read disc error" So this goes on 7 or so more times on reboots, tried to go to the systems restore never could get to that went back to bios and found that some how my nvidia raid was disabled I enabled it and Bam. I am back to normal

.My question here is what caused this?

This bit is worrying. It might be a dying hard drive. Run scandisk (My computer > right click on drive C:\ > properties > tools > error checking > select both boxes and be prepared to reboot and wait for some time depending on the size of the drive. DO NOT LEAVE IT! You must wait until it has finished and then look at the report - it will not be on screen for long. Note the bad sector count - if there any then the drive may be going bad. Replace it before it is too late.

Yes AlbertLionheart,
If jackpot316 is in the habit of using the reset switch instead of the power switch during lock ups, the hard drive might be full of corrupt files

I run scan disc about once a week never have any problems and on hitting the reset i have only done that one other time a few months back the rest of the time I kill it by holding in the power switch this does not happen much just seen it one other time when I was having a problem with a sound card I removed the sound card and went with my integrated sound never had any more problems like this till the other day

I just wanted to find out if someone might knew what caused it But as far as my hd going bad its not that..... Something caused it to go to the bios and I just want to find out what did that, Its got to be in the area of sound and video divers or something in that area, Its kinda hard to find it when this does not happen that much.

Also no errors is showing in event viewer. if I had some type of program that would monitor any errors of this type it would be a big help I am using and older bios update so by me updating to a newer version may help just having problems now getting this new bios keep getting a message that this downgrade is not suitable for my system But its not a down grade its upgraded version I have no idea but I will keep trying to fig it out.

Tmagic650 said:
Yes AlbertLionheart,
If jackpot316 is in the habit of using the reset switch instead of the power switch during lock ups, the hard drive might be full of corrupt files
Ok I just have this one last question to both you guys But explain to me how the reset is going to corrupt my files after a pc lock up any more than hitting the kill switch I really got to hear this please?

If you understood how files are stored on the hard drive when running XP with an NTFS (NT File System) you would know the answer. When the system is shut down normally using the power switch, the drive and OS (operating system) has a chance to "update and save" files automatically. When you use the reset switch, the OS has no chance to complete the "save" and this may overwrite or corrupt files, especally if you are in the habit of using the reset switch.

You must be an "old school" computer user. In the early days of personal computing the reset swich was necessary... IT IS NO LONGER NECESSARY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back