Stuck in ASUS Boot page

iaquino47

My pc suddenly stopped booting properly as it gets stuck in the ASUS booting page. I can access the BIOS just fine - it recognizes my SSD (where the OS is installed) and my HDD. I tried troubleshooting like resetting BIOS settings to default, booting directly through boot menu, taking out my ram sticks and see if it makes a difference, plugging it off overnight , and all to no avail. Im in no way a pc expert but I tried my best to research online what could work but all seemed to not work. Any ideas? Thank you!

Try booting with some other device - like a Windows installation ISO (you can download fresh from Microsoft) on a flash drive or DVD. If you go to all that trouble, it gives you the advantage of being able to "repair".

I have also tried doing that. I chose Start-up Repair since it was the only valid option out of system restore (no restore point to restore to), system image recovery, startup repair, command prompt (no clue how to trouble shoot using cmd prompt) and go back to previous build (originally came with the same OS as I do now). but start up repair did nothing to solve the problem. I'm thinking installing an OS might solve the problem but I'd only do that if it's an absolute must... any other idea? thank you for the suggestion though!

Let's proceed like engineers. The system which would not boot from SSD was able to boot from another device. Conclusion, there is something wrong with the boot capability of the SSD and likely nothing else..

Do you have backup of all your data? Do you want to make one? Can you boot from one of these other devices and make your backup? Can you see files and folders on the SSD?

It is now time to tell specifics about your system (maker/model), what have you added to the system, how the OS was previously loaded, what OS you are using, what is your warranty status, what is the media you are using to boot & from what, what error messages have you seen, do you have a diagnostic utility from the maker of the SSD which you can run, etc.

I don't have a backup of any of my data. And forgive me if I ask stupid questions (no expert by any means). First question, if there is something wrong with the SSD, then will my HDD be affected as well? the only thing installed on my SSD is the OS, everything else in my HDD. However, it's not like I have vital information that I definitely need to backup. It's really just game save files which if I lose, I probably won't lose sleep on.

Regarding your question about booting from "one of these devices" I presume ur referring to an external harddrive? Also, I have no idea how to see my files and folders on the SSD if I can't boot at all. Does that mean I have to install an OS on my HDD and try and access my SSD that way? (again sorry if these queries all sound stupid. really don't have much experience in terms of troubleshooting pc's)

For specifics about my system : I have 6800k i7 cpu, Nvidia 1070 GPU, 16gb Ram, ASUS X99 a-ii motherboard.
I've only really installed games on it , google chrome, an antivirus, and steam.
The OS was installed using a flash drive with windows on it.

First question, if there is something wrong with the SSD, then will my HDD be affected as well?

==> Possibly yes, if malware .... no, if SSD is broken or corrupted OS file on SSD. Since the HDD is merely a data drive, you might remove the SATA connector to keep anything from happening to it (like getting reformatted).

Regarding your question about booting from "one of these devices" I presume ur referring to an external harddrive?

==>HDD, flash drive, optical drive - some other device in or introduced to the system.. OK, need to clear the smoke...in post #3 you said " I chose Start-up Repair " - this indicates that you booted the system on something... was this the flash drive which you used before? or what?

To jump for a possible solution (which may NOT work), remove the HDD SATA connection, boot your installation media and do a custom clean install on SSD after removing old partition and putting in a new one with a reformat - and if that fails, download SSD diagnostics from SSD maker (which should be available if a major maker) and make a bootable diagnostic which can test the SSD and determine if you need to pursue warranty.

Otherwise, I need some more information:

system (maker, model) or is this DIY?

what OS you are using?

what is your warranty status?

what is the media you are using to boot & from what?

what error messages have you seen?

can you check SSD SMART in BIOS?

I HIGHLY doubt it is malware. so I can definitely leave the HDD from the reformatting process by taking off the SATA connector right?

In terms of the start-up repair, yes I booted with a recovery USB drive with a windows installer in it. That's what I used. And I have used it before yes to reinstall windows.

I'll definitely try that solution. I have a feeling that it's just a corrupted OS file. And I've been trying to find another solutions as I thought reinstalling windows was my last resort. But I'll let you know what happens!

It's a custom built pc I bought from CyberPowerPC UK and I'm using Windows 10. With error messages, I have seen none. It's literally just stuck in the ASUS booting up page with the loading symbol circling forever. Not even motherboard beeps either.

Leave the HDD from the reformatting process by taking off the SATA connector right?
YES

What caused the issue? If you are able to reload OS and boot from SSD, then I would spend time finding out...utility to test SSD from maker of same would be good idea...checking SMART also.

I reinstalled my OS onto my SSD and my pc is now up and running again! It looks like it's a corrupt OS that caused the issue. SSD obviously is fine so yeah :) Thank you for your help!

I checked on that. My ssd is an NVMe SSD 960 Evo and it's made by Samsung. I don't think they have a dedicated SMART utility... but Samsung has this thing called Samsung Magician? will that work?

So I've just downloaded the program and clicked SMART but unlike other SMART utilities it's not giving me much but this. Although it says the drive condition is generally "GOOD", there's no breakdown if you know what I mean. Unless those codes mean something...

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 2
Looks like Samsung has really dumbed down their utility (I have an 840). I would just go with the 'good' status unless you can find count of data relocation due to errors and max temperature (which I have always regarded as indication of pending fail). The maker's custom utility is more likely to be right than most anything else. Hope you get the faultless decade it should run (especially considering the price).

We still do not have a good answer for the failure in the first place. I suggest running memtest86 in a loop overnight.

If it crops up again, I would check my warranty and see what the vendor knows and/or can do for you.

Back